Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner map?  (Read 617 times)

kralv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Beginner map?
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »

Hi I am relatively new to DF and I am having trouble generating a map/finding a place I'd like to build my dwarfy kingdom.  Basically I want there to be some trees, no aquifer, mild temp and flux stone.  The search function doesn't let you search for amount of trees in an area as far as I know and everytime a match is found with the others there are no trees xD.  Also, it seems like the white highlighted minerals are not always flux stones themselves but "can" contain flux stone (ie mudstone) which I have had no luck in finding.  Is there anyway to do a more specific search or have more control over the map generation? Or maybe even where to download an easier map or something?  Any help appreciated thanks.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner map?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »

To get trees, just search for rainfall:moderate (or high) and temperature:medium.  Usually this gets you near a forest; after it puts you somewhere just hunt around manually to find a forest locale.  I've never seen a map without *any* flux but it's worth looking for a chalk/marble/etc. layer on top.  Just hunt around.  Finder gets you started but it doesn't have to stop there.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:21:10 pm »

I never use the search function. Just look around yourself until you find something you like.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »

Yeah, honestly you're probably better off without the site finder.  Just look around the map and start to get a feel for what the symbols/colors mean.  A forested, temperate, flux stone area should be pretty easy to find in the default settings with a little looking around.  To reduce the number of aquifer containing locations, go into the Generate World with Parameters menu and change it from Medium Island to one that says Region.  This will reduce the ocean coverage, which will reduce the aquifers.

Someone will undoubtedly tell you to turn aquifers off, but I really think it is worth learning how to break through eventually.  It seems a lot of people are downright crippled with fear over them, and they aren't that bad.  First few fortresses, yeah you should probably avoid them, but having some on the map somewhere isn't bad.

If you are having trouble genning a decent world or finding a site, look around the pregen worlds on DFFD and see if you like the look of anything.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:32:52 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »

Don't use the site finder, it's garbage.
White layers are sedimentary layers. Most flux stones are sedimentary (marble, the only exception, is metamorphic) but only 4 out of 11 sedimentary layers are flux, and you just need to learn the geology: The flux layers are limestone, dolomite, chalk and marble; calcite, the fifth flux stone, only occurs within limestone and marble layers which are flux layers anyway.
Flux was moderately hard to come by in 40d where you'd only get 3 layers, but in 0.31 it's pretty easy to find sites which have a marble layer at some point.
Just scroll around the forests and mountains on your map until you find an area with marble and no aquifer. You could even try a site on a biome boundary with a partial aquifer, just to play with the aquifer for its benefits while still being able to dig below it in your other biome. This kind of thing doesn't take long to find and I can normally do it within a minute or less, even with other requirements in mind like a brook.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:50:18 am »

You could even try a site on a biome boundary with a partial aquifer, just to play with the aquifer for its benefits while still being able to dig below it in your other biome. This kind of thing doesn't take long to find and I can normally do it within a minute or less, even with other requirements in mind like a brook.
This.

By default, the embark square is 4x4, placed randomly in a 16x16 window (the leftmost one). That area can contain more biomes then are initially shown, so it pays to look around. If I find a place that I like, I'll expand my embark square to full size (16x16) and scroll through the biomes using the F-keys. This gives you a whole picture instead of 1/16th of the area, meaning that you're not going to miss the perfect embark due to randomness.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

Another thing that's good to keep an eye out for is any kind of sand, which is needed for glassmaking. (And it has to be "sand", not "sandy" something.) Mercifully, you can now buy it off merchants, but it's a lot simpler if you have an infinite local supply.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!