Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting a new fort  (Read 655 times)

DeathToGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting a new fort
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »

So, been playing for a couple weeks... I usually dont get far though, I end up running out of things to do or cant think of what else to do.

but I have noticed that it takes FOREVER to get a fort started, and I also feel like whenever I do underground farms they make all my designs and plans mess up.

I was wondering if there was a way to automate this first portion of the game, or do you always just have to suffer through before this thing happens that I have heard of all over these forums... i believe the term is FUN? (I also believe that there should be a disclaimer that this "fun" usually involves death, dismemberment, and/or mass insanity)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a new fort
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »

No disclaimer necessary. Fun MEANS death, dismemberment and insanity.

seriously, what dictionary are you reading that says otherwise?

More seriously, you get the hang of it and the beginning becomes Very easy. THEN you start having to worry less about starving, and more about being ripped apart limb by limb by angry hordes.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »

Very mature fortresses can be almost autonomous, to the point of being boring. The beginning, where so much can go wrong, is actually the funnest part for some people.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:06:10 pm »

I'm a mega constructor :P the automation lets me do Fun things.

*Mayor facepalms*

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:19:11 pm »

Same
I focus on getting my fort functioning to the point where I don't have to MICROMANAGE the damn thing. Then I begin agressively colonizing the underworld and figuring out how to flood =Redacted=
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »

I prefer to have a slow buildup at the beginning, then, when I get 80 dwarves, I draft half of the population, make half of the remainder into doctors and then begin operation Hostile Takeover. This has happened twice. Both of them being failures does not, in any way, discourage me from trying a third time.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »

my recent fort is beyond slow buildup.

It's freaking GLACIAL. 17 dwarves, 8 couples, some 40 children. no immigrants or caravans.

I'm also sealed beneath a river. but that's part of the fun.

*Mayor facepalms*

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 06:54:41 pm »

If the beginning of the game really bugs you, just pick an exceptionally nice embark location, start and play until you get to a point you are satisfied with, but haven't really committed to any big projects, then save, exit, copy the region save file as a backup.

Instead of starting new forts, make a new copy of your backup, give it a new name, and play the fort a different way.

Although I think doing different embark locations is half the Fun.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:21:31 pm »

I never feel like my fort is done. I'm always doing ten dozen, usually VERY important things at once. I've been trying to get my housing section built because everyone wants one and the nobles have been whining, but I had to do it while completely out of food and booze, while the river froze over.

And while there was no farms built.

If you can tell, I didn't realize how amazing it is that I lived until I typed it up.
This is why Losing is Fun. But barely not losing is even better, like Bronzemurder.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:30:52 pm »

oh I agree, trudging on after the dwarfpocalypse is a great bit of fun, as your few remaining dwarves must navigate the burned out and danger filled remains of their home, magma flooding the main shaft, the Zoo full of dangerous animals toppled, leaving the survivors looking behind every corner for fear of running into the !!Unicorn!!

*Mayor facepalms*

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »

No !!Unicorns!!, but I just survived a forest fire wiping out half the map.  I think it was started by a !!Swan!!.  Not sure how the swan caught fire, but I am playing a mod with fire breathing dwarves.  I just thought I had them all confined below the surface.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »

Autonomy is one of the first things I go for. At rather be at war with everyone than to be reliant on them :D

But otherwise; Trade is fine too.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!