Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse stockpiles / sorting  (Read 357 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse stockpiles / sorting
« on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »

How are you guys handling your refuse stockpiles in 31.08?  Back in 40d I always used to have a special "bones/shells/craftable refuse" pile near my Bonecarver workstation so they could churn out bone crafts and arrows and totems and whatnot...

Everything else would go into a big room on my "workshops" floor right near my Butchers/Tanners/Kitchen stations so potentially rotting/miasma-generating refuse could be chucked in without the haulers having to go too far.  I dug a shaft down to that room from the surface so it'd be "outdoors" and thus not generate miasma, and the refuse would rot away more quickly leaving room for new refuse to be dumped in.

I can't figure out any way to do anything remotely like this in 31.08, and the refuse pile shaft/room off my workshops filled up with crap almost immediately after I designated it so my dwarves have to take the looooong route out the front entrance to dump refuse outside instead.  *Then* they have to haul it back inside so the bone carver can use it!  Madness, I tells ya.

I so wish we could still separate bones & shells into a separate stockpile like we could with 40d.  Hell, at this point I'd be happy to be able to sort between "things that will rot and genarate miasma" and "things that won't".

How have you guys been handling it in the new version so far?  Any advice?

Thanks!

--nomad_delta

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse stockpiles / sorting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »

I just dig out a huge INDOOR room for my refuse stockpile and let the eternal vermin corpses stack up until it gets unusable, then I dump the vermin corpses to a single tile garbage dump in the center of the room under a small drawbridge and smash them.

I feel like editing my raws so that vermin leave no corpses, but that's like giving up.

If you put a masterwork golden door on the refuse room, anyone having to go in there and breathe miasma won't really care.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

Has anyone figured out *any* useful way to sort refuse in 31.08, or are we still stuck with the one huge pile of refuse mixed in with all the useful crafting items (bones/shells/etc) and other things that don't actually rot?

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:59 pm »

I would just make the refuse room bigger for now. I've found that with a 10x10 room I never fill it up. There are more disadvantages to the outdoor dumping than efficiency. Sometimes, going outside is dangerous!

Yandapanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17:11 pm »

Refuse piles are able to be designated very specifically.  Create yourself a room with only diagonal entrances - miasma does not move diagonally. Designate the room as refuse (p menu) then as garbage (I menu). You can also create a refuse pile next to your craftdwarfs by creating a refuse pile (p menu) and refining what can be put there with (q-s). The shells and bones are body parts. The other two designations are true refuse. You can also do just shells by only allowing title, muscle, and oyster body parts. 

I use my refuse/garbage pile to clear rooms of stones by dumping them (d-b-d), which also gives all the lazy dwarfs something to do for a while. Reclaiming (d-b-c) the stones after the rooms are empty is a handy way of moving all the semi-useful stones to a location closer to my crafti-dwarves.

-- yanda
-- Yanda