Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a quick animal question  (Read 471 times)

twinburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a quick animal question
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:32:32 pm »

so though a stroke of sheer luck I've trapped a giant eagle which if I get a dungeon master I'll be training but here's the thing, it did actualy kill one of my dorfs earlier and I remember reading boat murdered that the elephant in that was never TRULY tamed when it had killed. Was that a bug in that game or can I not trust this eagle?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: a quick animal question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:24 pm »

The eagle should be safe if you tame it.
However, you need a dungeon master for that, which is believed to be unable to be appointed as of now.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

An animal which has tasted dwarven flesh will always crave it again.  If you tame this eagle it will still go right on killing your dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:16:40 pm »

so though a stroke of sheer luck I've trapped a giant eagle which if I get a dungeon master I'll be training but here's the thing, it did actualy kill one of my dorfs earlier and I remember reading boat murdered that the elephant in that was never TRULY tamed when it had killed. Was that a bug in that game or can I not trust this eagle?
I don't think you can trust the eagle itself. If you ever tame it you can test this by putting the eagle's cage in a room, connecting it to a level, locking a dwarf you don't mind losing in said room, and then pulling the lever. If the dwarf lives you're fine.

If I was you I'd keep it around for breeding purposes just in case the DM shows up and you can get your dirty little dwarf paws on another giant eagle. Breeding in DF is by spores, so if the killer eagle is male you can leave him locked up in the room with the dead dwarf. If it's female you need to figure out a way to chain it down in a place the dwarves can't go. There is a large potential for fun in chaining up a hostile Giant Eagle, but if you pull it off your dwarves will be safe and the cute little Eaglets will fly to your main meeting hall after they're born.

Nick

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:40:49 am »

While it is true that any animal that ever kills a dwarf will always continue to do so regardless of being tamed, the worst part is that your guards and war dogs won't attack it, forcing you to wall it in or drop the ceiling on it.

I wouldn't bother trying to chain it up, personally. Build the cage somewhere, link it to a lever, then build walls around it and pull the lever. You won't get your cage back but you also won't get anyone killed, and it will be able to spread eagle spores.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

While it is true that any animal that ever kills a dwarf will always continue to do so regardless of being tamed, the worst part is that your guards and war dogs won't attack it, forcing you to wall it in or drop the ceiling on it.

I wouldn't bother trying to chain it up, personally. Build the cage somewhere, link it to a lever, then build walls around it and pull the lever. You won't get your cage back but you also won't get anyone killed, and it will be able to spread eagle spores.
That works great if it's a boy.

If it's a girl and not tame it's hatchlings will be wild. And walled up so they can't be trapped and tamed.

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »

If it's a girl and not tame it's hatchlings will be wild. And walled up so they can't be trapped and tamed.
Ah, but if it's tame yet unsafe due to having tasted blood its children will be tame and safe around dwarves.  But to get the children you'll have to have the adult chained up rather than walled off.  Chaining up the bloodthirsty tame adult without it eating the dwarf doing the chaining will be entertaining.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.