Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the verge of disaster: Dwarves Won't Mine  (Read 1418 times)

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the verge of disaster: Dwarves Won't Mine
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »

Well, this is an odd turn of events. I'll give the whole story here and add a summary at the bottom.

I reclaimed an old site, which was a small glacier located in the middle of a forest and, shortly after un-forbidding everything with the bookkeeper, my miner ran into the underground and got shot with a blowdart.

This wasn't a problem until later, when I designated a hospital and the miner, in true dwarvy fashion, ran to the Hospital crying and plopped down in the corner of it before I could even add a bed. The local doctor comes to help him out.

Here's the catch. My water supply isn't working properly. I think I have it figured out, but basically, it's an aquifer that's in a dirt layer right below the glacier and the hospital can only be reached passing through the glacier. I figure the water is getting frozen midway, because the doctor is constantly carrying a bucket back and forth. And no, this isn't the old medical bug, because the miner is getting thirsty and generous, hardworking dwarves are carrying buckets to him, to no avail.

Thankfully, the hospital was in a rock layer, and I decided to build a reservoir near it, using the aquifer, when the most annoying glitch happened: the dwarves refuse to mine.

I've got two picks, one is attached to the wounded miner, and the other isn't forbidden. However, no matter what dwarf I assign, they simply refuse to mine. They've got nothing else to do.

Summary: Dwarf injured. Got thirsty. Need to mine to get water. Miners refuse. HELP!

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the verge of disaster: Dwarves Won't Mine
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:29 pm »

Are the designated mining squares reachable?
Is the Mining Labour enabled?

An uploaded save would certainly help.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:37:42 pm »

Make sure you haven't assigned them to a burrow that doesn't reach the mining site.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »

If the digging area is only one square wide, the wounded dwarf could be taking the job. Try to disallow him mining.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »

I've designated mining for other dwarves and shut it off for the wounded miner. I've done this on and off throughout the save and for different dwarves, so there might be a few designated as miners.

I've never actually used burrows yet, so I don't have any activated.

Here's the save: http://www.2shared.com/file/SedBjOyc/ThirstySave.html

I never knew how large DF savefiles were.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:21 pm »

Sometimes there are issues with picks used and dropped not being accessible to new miners.

Also, you didn't perchance activate Mining on the dwarves using Dwarf Therapist, did you? There have been issues with using DT to do this in 31.xx, although this might've been fixed. It manifests in exactly the behavior you're describing; basically, the pick association is an extra step that DF Labor sets up properly but DT does not yet.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:40 pm »

Nope, haven't used Therapist on this save.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:59:21 pm »

Your first miner is unconscious and holding one of your two picks.
He also has an injured left hand so he might not be doing much more mining.
You also have 3 dwarves in your military. As soon as I disbanded your squads they started mining again. Best not to mess with the military till you have a few dwarves to spare. It behaves a bit funny and takes a while to get to grips with. There are a few good threads about it lying around. Basically: always turn off all training for the squads, they will train themselves. Also dwarves in military cannot be expected to do civvie work (not something I have looked into, I always have dedicated military dwarves when I reach 60+ pop).
Good luck!

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »

Thanks a lot man! Everything's working now.

Now let's see if I can save the miner's life.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:47 am »

Basically: always turn off all training for the squads, they will train themselves. Also dwarves in military cannot be expected to do civvie work....

I've observed exactly the opposite.  If you set your dwarfs to Active/Training and set the schedule to alternate between Off Duty and Training, they will go active when training and if they have civilian tasks enabled they will perform those when not actively training.  I can't tell you how many times I've sent all of my off-duty militia members to go fishing for shells because some moody prick needs 4 shells and we only have 3.

There are some catches to getting the training to work right, though.  (For example: Each squad has to have it's own barrack, and you can only have one officer per squad.)