Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm having trouble making a farm! (.08)  (Read 595 times)

Tiny Adventure Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I say.
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble making a farm! (.08)
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:04:37 pm »

Alright, I'm a bit stumped, and lots of wiki-searching isn't helping.

I embarked in a freezing environment and quickly noticed I had no water, so I dug with all my might down to the nearest cave I could find, etc etc.

Later, I decided to build another farm on the surface, because there is like a crowd of forgotten beasts outside the wall of my fort (down in the caves!). So I dug a whole lot of channels on the surface (because it was real rocky) to make a big room one level below (actually, I used the ramp method). This left me with a big room of nothing but peat floor, which is all labelled OUTSIDE LIGHT ABOVEGROUND. However, when I build a farm plot there, although I have all sorts of prickleberry seeds and whatnot, it's doing the whole 'No seeds available at this location' dance. Do I need mud/water here? I definitely remember reading something about not needing irrigation on the surface. Maybe it's the cold?

Yeah, anyone have any ideas?
That's me.

ShakyJake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having trouble making a farm! (.08)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:16 pm »

Are the channeled tiles directly above these unusable tiles of yours? Once sunlight hits them, they're an "aboveground" farm tile forever after. When I set up a farm your way, I like to make the farm 2 z-levels below with a ramp down set off to the side, so that there's nothing but reassuring cave ceiling over the channeled tiles.

Tiny Adventure Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:25 pm »

Yeah, I'm shooting for an aboveground farm. Prickleberries and whatnot.
That's me.

ShakyJake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »

Sorry, I misunderstood what the problem was. Peat should definitely count as soil for purposes of building a farm, but perhaps having started as an underground tile means you'll need irrigation even so.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

Yep. As it stands, you need to irrigate in this case. I THINK this is considered to be a bug, but I'm not positive.

Tiny Adventure Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:14:39 pm »

Rats. There is no way I'm exploring the caves for water, there are FOUR forgotten beasties flapping around.

Edit: Five!
That's me.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

I'd be more worried about the FPS beast thats unleashed in the caves.
 If you have magma you could melt some ice...  And theres always DFliquids, part of dfhack, so you could place some water to muddy the area.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:51:48 am »

Prickle berries and whatnot are labeled [NON_FREEZING], meaning they can't grow in areas with ice.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.