Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress size/depth  (Read 1469 times)

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress size/depth
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

It's true that the game is pretty simple once you get the basics down, but you'll probably always still make mistakes that you can learn from. For example, my latest fort had only two miners, both legendary. I had no need for any more. Then, one walked into a channel he had just dug into the side of a river, and got stuck against the grate I had built in there and drowned. I now have only one one skilled miner among 70 dwarfs. That is really not good. (Actually, one of my military dwarves is a highly skilled miner. Oops. Another careless mistake, there.)

Now I know that it might be best to continually work on training new miners, or even just maintain at least one more than I think I need. (And also to be more careful about my military drafting!)

These things happen all the time, and the continual learning is one of the things that makes the game so great. Yes, you have the initial "learning brick wall," but there is a really nice, gentle, and practically infinite curve starting at the top of it.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress size/depth
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 12:18:27 am »

Hah, I just had a great modding idea... What about making piles of stones their own building. Instead of an individual stockpile, you just make a 1x1 custom building that uses multiple stones in it's construction. Then when you want to access the stone, you deconstruct it.

In fact, I'm thinking of making a temple building that requires knives and tables and the like. Granted, it might not do anything, but if you use architecture as the build skill, I believe your dwarves will admire it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:22:01 am by Hague »
Pages: 1 [2]