Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A week later my noobishness still shines through.  (Read 1282 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
A week later my noobishness still shines through.
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »

Yet again my noobishness shows itself. On another thread someone mentioned having a room 3 zlevels high and I totally had one of those "ah hah!" moments. I'm still not thinking in 3 dimensions and all my rooms have been only one zlevel tall. Can't wait to add a little depth to my rooms now!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: A week later my noobishness still shines through.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »

The thing is, making rooms taller than one z-level is pointless and kind of annoying, unless you plan to put stuff on all levelss
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:42:29 pm »

But a massive entrance hall with soaring pillars engraved with the great deeds of past dwarves makes for a great impression on traders!
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

If you really wanted to make it epic you could:
1. Dig out 1 z-level of the room
2. Smooth and engrave all the walls
3. Channel out the floor below
4. Rinse and repeat as desired

Thus, you end up with a fully engraved hall of legendary legends. As others have stated, not practical by any means, but could be kinda cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »

nophillip: Why not just dig up/down stairs? Flying dorfs get engravings done quick. Then just channel them away!
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:53:16 pm »

Unfortunately, the game simply can't recognize rooms that are more than one z-level tall.  (So does that make the game still a noob?) Which means that the game doesn't see it, and you won't see it...  unless you use stonesense or the like, anyway.

There are people who will do things like, say, having great halls with balconies that overlook a larger open space below, with everything made of polished marble... but nobody but the player will ever be able to understand what kind of structure you are dealing with.

In other words, it's not noobish at all to almost never channel and think of seperate floors as largely seperate entities, with the exception of being aware of pathfinding - remember, it's actually much more efficient to create a "row" of workshops that are lined up vertically, as walking past a workshop directly upwards is only 1 step, but walking past a workshop horizontally is 3 steps.  Hence, rather than building large areas of similar workshops near stockpiles horizontally, it's better to just dig stairwells stretching workshops up/downwards from their stockpiles.

Likewise, dwarves will pick up items without regards for how much vertical distance there is, so there are other benfits for making their prefered stockpile be directly above the workshop they are working in.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »

Actually the most effiecent set up of workshops is a 3d one where all workshops are both next and above eachother (trough it's most effiecent to make it 3 times taller as wide)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »

Actually the most effiecent set up of workshops is a 3d one where all workshops are both next and above eachother (trough it's most effiecent to make it 3 times taller as wide)

This would require a shape like a diamond when viewed from the side - building "out" one more layer of workshops in every direction once for every three layers downward...

But considering as you can already make four workshops per z-level (on a diagonal from the stairwell), the odds that you will need over 16 workshops (32 if you build both up and down from the stockpile) that all need to access the same stockpile tends to be fairly slim unless you are dealing with far more dwarves than most fortresses hold.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:45 pm »

If you really wanted to make it epic you could:
1. Dig out 1 z-level of the room
2. Smooth and engrave all the walls
3. Channel out the floor below
4. Rinse and repeat as desired

Thus, you end up with a fully engraved hall of legendary legends. As others have stated, not practical by any means, but could be kinda cool if you're into that sort of thing.

I do something like this, but I dig out up/down stairs as scaffolding so the walls can be engraved once my engraver becomes legendary from smoothing everything or from a mood. The scaffolding also lets me remove the bulk of the room so it's functional while I wait.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 01:59:43 am »

I do it all the time too. This is the game for us, there's no competition which we do not make by ourselves, so I don't see a problem in the fact that the "game" cannot "see" it. It's enough for me that I see and use it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:20:59 am »

The thing is, making rooms taller than one z-level is pointless and kind of annoying, unless you plan to put stuff on all levelss

Look, it's not a question of function, it's a question of how much you need to compensate.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (