Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outside dump?  (Read 463 times)

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outside dump?
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:09:29 am »

I had a head hache last time with my fort, i usually cut down an all part of the montain where my fort entrance is, it let me have a nice area in front which is somehow inside the mountain, but still have the outside tag since i cut from the top, it create a huge cliff, so i see the invader coming.
Anyway i just got lot of stones in that area and i usually don't care much about them, but in this fort i wanted it to be clean. But no way they dump the stones, i think it simply doesn't work on "outside" stuff? to tell the true i don't even understand how they make the difference from inside to outside, maybe the light tag. So i put a stone stockpile the nearest i could from the entrance, inside, and the dwarf were begining to put the stones miles away rather than the one just few steps from the pile, outside. So i began to forbid, then they found other stone miles away, i forbid, i think i forbid the all fort in the end to get them take the stones outside.

In short why don't they dump outside stuff, seam stupid to me, it work with forbiding outside stuff.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outside dump?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:22:00 am »

Under o: options there is an option about dwarves ignore refuse outside or something like that, if you have it turned on, they won't dump things that you marked for dumping if they are outside.

The reason for that is so they don't try to dump/gather things off dead goblins during a battle or something I think.

You were right the first time about wanting to dump them.

The reason they go for the far away stones is because of how pathfinding works.  They go for a stone 5 levels straight down, over one 6 squares to the left, even if going down 5 levels takes forever.  See this for details.

And you're also right about the outside.  The game has what you could think of as "rays of light" coming down from the sky.  See this page on the wiki.

That's why putting a floor over something will make it Inside, but still be light and aboveground.  And why you can grow outside crops in that area you mined down from the surface.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:27:14 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:50:03 am »

Waow thank i'm not native english language and i was sure refuse was linked to dead bodies rather than the general garbage meaning. So it didn't come to my mind i had to let them take refuse from outside, thanks a ton.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:54:25 am »

No problem.  And I sort of guessed English wasn't your native language.  :)

Where are you from?

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:04:02 am »

I was born in France, but its a decade i'm leaving in Croatia now with the familly.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:09:57 am »

Your English is better than my French (which I actually learned), and I've never even heard Croatian.

Good luck figuring out foreign language games!

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:03 am »

Ye i learned english in my dungeon&dragon books, so its not perfect  :D

Croatian is pretty gutural language, not very nice if you ask me, its similar to russian and all those slavistic languages. They really like to put all those consonnant together in lenghty words, they almost don't use vowels... Like Croatia is called HRVATSKA here, just to give you an idea what kind of stuff i have to endure everyday :D

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:16 pm »

Haha, I am a native English speaker and I think I probably learned more English from my old 2nd edition D&D books than from school.