Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blobs  (Read 423 times)

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blobs
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:11 am »

Recently a forgotten blob moved in to the first cavern under my fortress.  I was wondering how in the world to kill these things.  It only has two body parts, a blob and a shell.  All of my military dwarves are currently wielding superior+ battle axes because my earlier experiment with hammers led to nothing more than the occasional stun and bruise.  The way most encounters with the blob goes is that an axedwarf will engage it and quickly lop off its shell, and severely wound its blob.  They then continue to struggle until the dwarf is overexerted and tired, and occasionally blinded by the noxious vapors it emits, and the dwarf either flees, or is bludgeoned slowly to death by the blob.  I guess I could always plan a controlled cave-in, but is there any weapon that could finish it off?

Edit:  Err, I kept playing and it came out of my mine, and chased down and killed a cat.  After doing so, the forgotten beast just fell over and died, maybe because it is mid-winter?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:52:59 am by Murgen »
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blobs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:24:06 pm »

It may have bled to death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:55:12 pm »

So far the only blobs I've seen have been made of non-flesh materials (mud, vomit, water...) and don't bleed when cut.  The only thing I've found that kills them are cave-ins, or environmental damage (heat or cold) if they're made of the right materials.  I haven't seen a blob die from cold, but I've never fought one in an environment where it was cold enough to freeze water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »

one day in mid-summer:
The forgotten beast Nunur Kurik Atek has come!  A great blob composed of vomit.  It has a spiral shell and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its poisonous gas!
it only had a shell and a body.
30 ,3 to 5times-legendary, dwarves engaged the great blob of vomit.
the body and the shell was fractured and shattered thousands of times... and it fell over one time, but thats all.
while finishing the wounded, it got distracted by cats and peasants.
in the meantime 8 dwarves were rescued, all body parts were bruised and broken, some had fever.

it clearly favored bashing the giant war lions first, and chasing cats in combat.
the blob also lured all idle dwarves to the forbidden booze-pile next to the magma forge.
flushing blobby down the stairways backfired totally.

Beware a great blob composed of vomit has come!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:20:07 pm by stool »