Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Equipment  (Read 315 times)

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Equipment
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:07:35 am »

Curious, in .08 will military dwarves equip higher quality gear if it is available? Currently my dwarfs are using primarily iron equipment, but I am starting to produce steel. If I make steel weapons/armor, will they drop the iron armor in favor of the steel stuff? Or am I going to need to do this manually?

BONUS: Will Armor User/Shield User skill go up with Individual Combat Drills, or are we screwed until sparring is patched?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:13:05 am »

i tend to assign an all metal armor uniform to my dwarves, and by and large they tend to be upgrading themselves fairly often. I have three squads of ten each combat dorfs and what i guessed happened was when my legendary armorer cranked out a better breastplate, whoever was first to grab it would drop theirs, and it would be 'handed down' to each other dorf who would cast off theirs in turn. Eventually, and without much micromanagement at all, they seem to manage to grab only the best armor and weapons. I had to drop a few 'any melee' dorfs from grabbing useless whips and silver swords, but i could almost count on any given dwarf having pretty nice armor without having to specify for it or forbid lesser qualities.

what i would like to know is how to motivate certain squad mates to actually train instead of do their civilian job. I noted many of my dorfs didnt have any kills, and the captains were always first on the scene when i did a move or kill order. they'll eventually rock up but are pretty tardy about training.. i guess that might be their traits?

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Equipment
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:42 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if they manage on their own.

As a note, it's generally a good idea to disable all labors for military dwarfs at present to get them to actually train. You shouldn't have any dwarfs with high skills in your military anyways, and haulers will come soon enough ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:49:56 am by Firehawk »