Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Pipe  (Read 726 times)

scanale42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Pipe
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »

I've got a magma pipe that I want to tap and want to know what of the following ways is best to get to it. First off, I plan on tapping into it about 5 levels down from the top of the pipe. Now, if I understand it right, since I'm not using a pump, and it's not pressurized, then if I tap into it 5 levels down and let it fill up a grid of tunnels with magma, and then channel down into that grid from above, it won't rise up through the channels correct?

Secondly, can I just dig straight up to the obsidian wall and smooth it and then carve a fortification out of a diagnol square to give my dwarf a fighting chance to get out, or can you not carve fortifications like that?

If that doesn't work how does the following look? Cross section:
                   OMMMMM
                   OMMMMM
.................cXMMMMMM
.................  OMMMMMM

Assuming the "." are tunnels above each other, and then a channel is cut out of end of the top tunnel and then I dig out the wall from the pipe... Will the bottom tunnel fill up but the top tunnel won't? I tried looking at the wiki, and that seems like is what will happen, but I want to be sure. I'll throw in a fortification and floodgate before I tap it also so I don't get too many !!dwarves from beasties.

Thanks!

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:22:39 pm »

Now, if I understand it right, since I'm not using a pump, and it's not pressurized, then if I tap into it 5 levels down and let it fill up a grid of tunnels with magma, and then channel down into that grid from above, it won't rise up through the channels correct?

Correct.  I did exactly that in my current (31.08) fortress.

Secondly, can I just dig straight up to the obsidian wall and smooth it and then carve a fortification out of a diagonal square to give my dwarf a fighting chance to get out, or can you not carve fortifications like that?

Yes, I did the smooth-and-fortify approach.  When my dwarf started on the fortifications I also gave him a second smoothing job elsewhere, so the frame after he cut through into the magma he immediately turned and started moving towards his new assignment.  I'm not sure if diagonal squares give you any advantage, since natural magma isn't pressurized anyway. 

Razonatair

• Bay Watcher
  • Move along citizen, nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »

Lava doesn't "rise" in terms of where the breach is. It won't rise a level above the breach without screw pumps, but it will fill all layers including the layer where the breach is. With that setup, it will fill the top level as well. But it you fill a grid of tunnels at that level and then channel down into it, no, it will not overflow the channels.

You can dig straight to the wall and smooth and carve a fortification as you please, this is actually recommended as fortifications help filter out the little bastards hiding in the pipe, and the addition of a flood gate helps even more. However, your miners will generally not die by breaching magma from a diagonal square. In fact, they won't usually die by breaching a square that isn't a diagonal, because magma doesn't usually act under pressure. Water, however, is an entirely different beast.

somebody1944

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:34 pm »

It's been talked somewhere else. The following is how I do it, in a way similar to what you think.

Code: [Select]

m|____V___ ---> Escape
  m=VV__^
  m|^^______ ---> Forge

Legends:
 = Fortification
 V Down stair
 ^ Up stair

Your dwarf will have enough time to escape. I've actually tried the following so that I can dig less; he still managed.

Code: [Select]

m|
  m=VV____V
  m|^^____^__ ---> Forge/Escape

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:35:54 pm »

If that doesn't work how does the following look? Cross section:
                   OMMMMM
                   OMMMMM
.................  OMMMMMM

NOMMMM
                   NOMMMM
.................  NOMMMMM

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

if you wanna cheat the magma turn temperature off before you channel out the dig the obsidian, easier, and they wont get burnt
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...