Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request for embark spot with 5+ biomes  (Read 842 times)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request for embark spot with 5+ biomes
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:33:16 am »

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a sucker for embarks with many biomes. I like the variety of enemies it brings, and how it mixes up the layers in the ground.

However, after roughly a day searching, I've not yet found an embark spot with more than 4 different biomes (note: I mean different types of biome, not just "the same kind but split up").

So, does anyone have an embark spot they want to share with more than 4 biomes?

Edit: 6x6 embark would be max for me.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request for embark spot with 5+ biomes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:55:07 am »

If you make a map using the Perfect World utility, you can end up with a lot of different biomes if you enter the right values... I've seen a six-biome 4X4 map! Although, on the other hand, I've had many adjacent biomes that seem to be identical, not sure what's up with that.

- Also, definitely agree with liking different biomes. Optimally, I'd like an area with a permanent glacier, sometimes-frozen area, a lot of trees, every kind of rock strata, at least one river/brook, a volcano of course, and every possible type of spawnable unit. :P Maybe there should be a mode that allows custom embark areas?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »

I wonder if the biome has to reach the map edge to actually spawn creatures?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:26:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure it does.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:09 pm »

- Also, definitely agree with liking different biomes. Optimally, I'd like an area with a permanent glacier, sometimes-frozen area, a lot of trees, every kind of rock strata, at least one river/brook, a volcano of course, and every possible type of spawnable unit. :P Maybe there should be a mode that allows custom embark areas?

I believe Toady has mentioned eventually giving us the ability to play as gods. So, if/when that happens, you could jump in and pretty up your own terrifying glacier/heavy woodland/lake/ocean/volcano/space station combo.

Or you could fill it with elves and bunnies and trees, and create a godly decree that dwarves can never again harm any living plant or animal. Spoilerland will be filled with huggable plushies, and there will be free +pig tail socks+ for all. It'd be like the dwarven Book of Job!