Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing/Adding Animals to the Embark Screen?  (Read 847 times)

snbdwt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Changing/Adding Animals to the Embark Screen?
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:43:14 pm »

Let me preface this by saying that I'm rather recent to DF, and a complete noob at modding it. If this is just impossible, please don't mind me. Haha.
I was curious if you can change or add animals to the embark screen? Specifically dragons haha I thought it would be fun.

Thanks,
SNBDWT

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing/Adding Animals to the Embark Screen?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but give this a try.
Go into creature_standard.txt (or wherever the dragon entry is. Press control+f to find it in the file.), find [PET_EXOTIC] in the dragon entry, replace it with [PET], and then add [COMMON_DOMESTIC]. It might also need a [MUNDANE] tag, but I'm not sure. Good luck.
EDIT: Dragons are already trainable.
Also, try this with bronze colossus. Make sure you set the pet value of both to something like 20, because you probably don't have enough dwarfbucks to pay for two. Also, you'll want to make them breedable. Do this by adding
[BABY:1]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:drake:drakes]
General Child Name should only be added to dragons.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:40:01 pm by NewsMuffin »

snbdwt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »

Alright awesome! I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

EDIT: It didn't work :/ Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:47:23 pm by snbdwt »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:47:39 pm »

If you still need help, this should be what the dragon entry looks like when you're finished.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The tags I put in/edited are at the top.
If you copy/paste it, make sure to overwrite the current one. You may also have to regen the world. I doubt it, though. Add the [MUNDANE] tag if it still doesn't work. Also, migrants will probably now bring in dragons as pets.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:49:16 pm by NewsMuffin »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:07:04 am »

Ok, yeah, no that doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Sorry.
Remove the [MEGABEAST] tag, and it's child tag string. This stops dragons from attacking you, but still makes them be awesome.
Doesn't work either. Maybe regen world.
I AM DETERMINED TO HELP.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:13:27 am by NewsMuffin »

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

try using [NATURAL] instead of [MUNDANE]. It works for me, and now I have several different critters to maximize game Fun. Just... Keep your dragons away from your dorfs. Any enemy that enters will be crisped by the dragon, and so will everything else in the blast radius.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »

Yeah, currently all the [MUNDANE] tag does is to say that the creature is a real life creature and stops you from getting the "Age of the Last Fox" or something to that effect like you can with dragons and other creatures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:56:29 pm »

Just... Keep your dragons away from your dorfs. Any enemy that enters will be crisped by the dragon, and so will everything else in the blast radius.

Which is why if you want to be uber-silly you give the dorfs the same tag that lets them be immune to dragonfire as the dragons themselves. :O

And now I can't get the silly thing to work for me. Tried embarking a few times and it didn't show up, attempted to gen a new world and all it does is reject everyone it comes up with now. WTF.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:50:33 pm by zlurker »

snbdwt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:53:58 pm »

Thank you for all your help, but I still can't get it.. :'( I'm not quite sure why either.. I changed the tag to NATURAL, per Dora's suggestion.

EDIT:

Okay so I'm not sure if I'm retarded or something, but I removed muskoxes from the creatures_large_tundra, yet I could still embark with them! I even embarked and lo and behold, there it was. A muskox. How was a newly gen'd world able to have a muskox without an entry in the file??

EDIT2:
After reading up on some Tag information on the wiki, I realized I needed to remove the fanciful tag. Thank you all! Still confused about the Muskoxes though :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:27:13 am by snbdwt »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:52:55 am »

Could you share your creature_standard entry for the dragons if they work, snbdwt? I removed the fanciful tag as well but still can't get them to show up in the embark screen.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:51 am »

You need the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag to work.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:42:22 pm »

You need the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag to work.

Uhm.. dude? It's already in there. Newsmuffin had it entered in his spoiler thing. I'm going to try removing the mount_exotic and see if that works.

Edit: Nope, didn't help any. Not that I figured it would but it was worth a try. :p
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:44:24 pm by zlurker »