Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Living Dead Virus (Idea)  (Read 1323 times)

LASture

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Living Dead Virus (Idea)
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:27 am »

Due to the new disease feature starting to get some interesting attention from the community, I've been sort of wondering about the obligatory apocalypse infections. I'm not a modder myself, but I'm wondering if anybody else would be interested in seeing something created.  The variable for infect would have to be pretty low because if it's direct-contact, it could get out of hand really fast. I'm just kind of putting the idea out there, for sake of discussion on the possibilities / factors required to make such a thing real.

"Rage Virus"
Infection causes dwarfs to berserk or tantrum.

"Living Death"
Infection causes dwarfs to become sick and slowly die, when they do, they come back to life as zombies.

Both present problems, both have many different perspectives and ways that you could possibly go about implementing this.

Your thoughts?  Discuss!  :D

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: The Living Dead Virus (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »

Viruses and other transmitted diseases are not really possible at the moment. The only way you could manage one is to set up dwarven pus as a gas, with an inhaled syndrome that causes more pus. Then you can attach other symptoms to the syndrome, and it will spread like a virus. Unfortunately, causing dwarves to go berzerk is not among the list of symptoms. You might be able to pile on unpleasant symptoms until they start tantruming naturally, but I would put my money on a legendary dinning room's ability to overcome it. As for the living death one, that's totally undoable with the current raws. Maybe possible with memory hacking, but that's a big maybe.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:10:38 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:23:37 pm »

Couple of utilities for older versions let you turn stuff undead. If they've been updated, and you're prepared to do some of the process manually, that might be an option.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:29:58 pm »

Don't limit it to just dwarfs!

If you do, I've just created all these zombie animal sprites for nothing.

Yeah, this is totally a self-advertisement.
(making a graphics set. See signature)

Although, maybe rather than having it be inhaled,
make it a poison or something.
So when you get bit you turn into a zombie!

Anyway didn't somebody do something like this for that Fallout mod a while back?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:41 pm »

Well I know the idea of living dead and berserking dwarfs is a little out of reach... but.

You can lay the ground work for it more or less. Try to make it into a bite attack or a vomit attack or just by getting the blood on you kind of deal.

All kinds of nasty afflictions you can put on your dwarfs, just to make things miserable.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

LASture

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:36:58 pm »

I just kind of threw it out there for a thought to ponder.  Might catch the attention of Toady for ideas of how to infrastructure the system.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »

Anyway didn't somebody do something like this for that Fallout mod a while back?
It was probably just some form of radiation sickness that causes mild necrosis in order to make ghouls.  That wouldn't take anything special (except for the rad source).

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:08:30 am »

Hey, I am aware that this is a big necro, but the subject is interesting, and I have an idea:
If you give dwarves a secondary bite attack that causes necrosis and the immobilization of the arms, then you'll create dwarves who bite each other and have body parts falling off of them. Getting them hostile is still a big challenge, but I think this is a step in the right direction.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Dummedu

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ya spravku dostal shto ya s-s-s-sibanuty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »

I was wondering if there's such thread on b12 forums.
There is.
Do it, somebody.
Zombies are good!

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

Could you have an effect that spawns a different creature on death? Probably not since it's fairly obvious, but just thought I'd throw that out there. That'd let you make all sorts of cool things... for example, creatures getting cut up is already implemented, but what about some monster that gains new attacks after you rip it's defensive shell off? You could have the old one 'die' and respawn as a slightly-different version.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »

The ability to spawn inanimate objects on death works, but I'm unsure about living entities.  It's not like reactions, I don't think.  You can smelt a bronze statue and kill a colossus into one as well, but I've never heard of someone killing someone into a sentient being.

Random-material forgotten beasts are probably the key to this in some way.  An evil pile of ashes with all the physical properties of ashes exists on world gen, so perhaps finding the way lies with the properties of forgotten beasts. Sadly, since the way forgotten beasts are created or act isn't expressed in the raws I don't think it's possible or supported in any way right now.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:45 pm »

I believe that creating living creatures with [ITEMCORPSE:XX] runs into the same problems that reactions run into, as they are very similar. That means that it would currently be impossible to create creatures. I think that a sort of vermin creature is possible, but its not a real vermin and anything bigger just fails completely.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:05 pm »

You can have something die and drop a "sort of vermin"? Like, say, a blob that dies and splits into smaller blobs? Or, mm, baby versions of itself, got to track those little buggers down!

Dummedu

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ya spravku dostal shto ya s-s-s-sibanuty!
    • View Profile

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:40 am »

Check out Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures in the developement page here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Then go into stasis for a few years and hope its there when you wake up!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!