Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of children[40d]  (Read 1041 times)

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of children[40d]
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

So a few migrant waves have brought children into my cultist fortress who choose not to worship the mighty 'Enor the diamonds of gravel', and I am having a difficult time getting rid of them, I cannot assign them to a military martyr squad, get them in the holy drowning chamber, or sacrifice smashed atoms to the smashed atom God. I would prefer not to set a labor in DT to trap them.
So any tricks to have useless children meet an unfortunate accident that is minimal risk to my righteous dwarves?

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of children[40d]
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:50 pm »

So a few migrant waves have brought children into my cultist fortress who choose not to worship the mighty 'Enor the diamonds of gravel', and I am having a difficult time getting rid of them, I cannot assign them to a military martyr squad, get them in the holy drowning chamber, or sacrifice smashed atoms to the smashed atom God. I would prefer not to set a labor in DT to trap them.
So any tricks to have useless children meet an unfortunate accident that is minimal risk to my righteous dwarves?

Dig out a room 3x3. Create there burrow. Assign all children you want to get rid of to that burrow. Install door. W8 a bit for all them to come there. Forbid the door. After 3-4 months you can loot their bodies or bury them if you want  :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »

No burrows in 40d.

It is possible to build a system of pressure plates and floor hatches to separate children from adults.  In a 40d fortress I had an automatic system which diverted children into an isolated mini-fortress where they could grow and live isolated from the main fortress.  A waterfall gave them water, and food could be dropped down from the main fortress through a hole.  When they reached adulthood a second set of hatches and pressure plates would automatically separate out the adults and return them to the main fortress.

ETA:  More discussion in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60391.0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:09:16 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:37 pm »

I've culled children by creating a giant backlog of dump jobs to keep all adults busy and then designating the removal of some constructed floors that are only accessible by retracting bridge over magma.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:30:37 pm »

Ahh, removing the floors sounds like the best option. The pressure plate idea sounds awesome but currently out of my capabilities.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:09:54 pm »

You can also give them bedrooms of their own and lock in the offending ones until they starve. This method is slower, but has more precision.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »

Is it possible to assign only children to using levers? In a similar way to the noble suicide booth.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »

Do children follow traffic flow restrictions? If they don't just set up vertical spear traps in a hallway you forbid everyone else to walk down.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:57 am »

Aren't children much like animals in that they sometimes go visit their parents/owner?
I would build a room with a door, then a dwarven atomic smasher(drawbridge that folds up, not retracting) inside.  Station the parent/owner inside, wait for the child to come, de-station the parent, immediately lock the door after they've exited, trigger smasher.

Works even better for pets thanks to making doors non-passable by pets.

Edit:
Making sure all bedrooms have doors and locking the child in when it goes to sleep would also work.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:02 am »

As far as I can tell dwarven children use the same pathfinding code as adults, so they will respect restricted areas the same as adults.

Children tend to follow their parents around.  It can get pretty annoying if a dwarf has ten or so children and they all follow in a crowd everywhere.  This is why I build the child-separating machine in Pagedslipped.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:46:52 pm »

I've culled children by creating a giant backlog of dump jobs to keep all adults busy and then designating the removal of some constructed floors that are only accessible by retracting bridge over magma.
Ah yes, the Child-B-Q.

If only there was something similar for the old 2D version (which I'm playing while I wait for all of the big bugs in 0.31 to be fixed, especially the ones I've reported myself)...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.