Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cat Cage question  (Read 458 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Cat Cage question
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:45:40 pm »

Hi, just a simple question. I bought a cat cage from traders that came by one time as well as a Cow, but I can't get the cat out of his cage, the Cow was automatically taken, I think because I had him up for available adoption, but as a cat is uninterested, that option isn't available for me. He's just sitting in his cage right now. I need to get him out so he can deal with our rat problem in the food stores. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Cage question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »

When you first trap something in a cage or buy a caged animal from a trader, it's just an item in a stockpile.
For the animal to get out you have to first place the cage by (b)uilding a cage, then press (x) to expand the cage list so you can actually see what inside the cage you're about to place.
Once you have the right one place it somewhere and now it's a proper cage. Just go to it's properties with (q) and remove the cat from the list of animals you wish to have in this cage.
A dwarf should run over and set it free.

Think long and hard before releasing the cat though... there's been....incidents involving cats before.
Good luck.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »

No worries, I know about the Catsplosion problem. I have that all handled. It's only one Boy, a boy can't mate with itself :P

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »

I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.

lol sorry couldn't resist. jurassic park ftw.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »

Well my cat doesn't have frog DNA :P

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:37:56 pm »

Should people really be worrying about catsplosions? I mean, sure, having like 70 cats will hurt your fps but that's no big fucking deal. It's mostly no big deal because getting rid of already adopted cats, while more of a hassle than doing the same with unadopted ones, is perfectly doable.

Here's how to do it:
1. In a tight corridor, place a door, then an upright spike trap, then another door and a lever. The order has to be exactly as described, and you must build all of those things adjacently, i.e. with no spaces in between.
2. Link up the lever to the spike trap, and assign said lever to the dwarf whose pets you want to euthanize. Set the door that's nearest to the lever and mark it pet-forbidden. That way his pets will try to follow him but won't be able to reach him. Once they reach this door, however, it's probably best to mark the outer door as forbidden or pet-forbidden as well, as some pets (cats definitely, but other species might be different) are going to try and go back once they reach a pet-forbidden door. I understand that you might not want to do this, as it could be considered gamey; in this case, cat-killing might take somewhat longer, but that shouldn't be a problem.
3. Designate the lever for repeated pulling, until satisfied with the results.

Before you ask, yes, losing pets is distressing to dwarves, but that's nothing a good meal or admiring a nice piece of furniture won't cure.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:05:32 pm »

Before you ask, yes, losing pets is distressing to dwarves, but that's nothing a good meal cat roast or admiring a nice piece of furniture won't cure.

FTFY

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »

That joke would work better if you could actually cook adopted pets, but their remains are off limits to your butchers, cooks, tanners, bonecarvers, etc. At least that's how it worked in 40d, and I don't expect this to have changed.