Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't make steel - bug?  (Read 743 times)

illarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't make steel - bug?
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

After some effort, my dwarves have dug down to the magma sea, and finally got my metal industry properly underway.  However, my smelters simply don't have "smelt steel bars" or "make pig iron bars" options available.  I have iron bars (and haematite+limonite ores), I have marble, I have coke, all available, not tasked for anything else.

But the options just don't appear.  I'm using 0.31.03, everything vanilla but the tileset.  Am I missing something stupid?
"No Gods, No Kings, Only Dwarves." -- Tyrving

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make steel - bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:29:43 pm »

After some effort, my dwarves have dug down to the magma sea, and finally got my metal industry properly underway.  However, my smelters simply don't have "smelt steel bars" or "make pig iron bars" options available.  I have iron bars (and haematite+limonite ores), I have marble, I have coke, all available, not tasked for anything else.

But the options just don't appear.  I'm using 0.31.03, everything vanilla but the tileset.  Am I missing something stupid?

Did you define burrows?
(cause if you got the smelter in burrow A and the stuff in burrow B you are screwed)
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:25 pm »

Have you tested if this happens with magma forges as well as with normal forges?

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:54:51 pm »

I'm using .03 and have made steel with magma forges. You still need coke and flux for the reactions for pig iron and steel.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »

Just in case something is missing..

To make Pig Iron, you need Iron, Flux and Fuel (one for magma smelter, two for regular smelter)
To make Steel, you need Pig Iron, Iron, Flux and Fuel (one for magma smelter, two for regular smelter)

Do you have ANY coke/charcoal?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

Go to your Manager ( [ u], then [ m] ) and assign the task to make steel bars. When it gets assigned, it should tell you what it thinks you're missing. That might help track down the problem.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

Go to your Manager ( [ u], then [ m] ) and assign the task to make steel bars. When it gets assigned, it should tell you what it thinks you're missing. That might help track down the problem.

I had the exact same thing happening. The magma smelter was deep down and the ore was way up in my fort. I set 2 burrows up, one down one up and bang, no more options for the stuff i had in the other burrow.
So my bet is on the burrows. :P

cheers
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:10 am »

I just want to note that I just had this same exact problem - couldn't smelt steel or pig iron, despite having all the ingredients readily accessible and even having made some steel earlier.  I had defined only a single burrow for a battle, which did happen to include all the stockpiles where the ingredients were lying.  When I deleted that burrow, the options were immediately available again.

So if someone like me searched to locate this problem: try deleting and redefining your burrows.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.