Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Useless Vultures  (Read 1150 times)

TYPE-Mercury

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Useless Vultures
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:07 pm »

I have 6 or so vultures caught in cages, but they don't appear on the animals menu, so I can't select them to be butchered. How can I get rid of or at least get some use out of these pests?  >:(

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Useless Vultures
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:10:53 pm »

Butcher them through the (v) menu?
*Hugs*

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »

You can't butcher them unless you've tamed them first, which you can't do unless you have a dungeon master (which never happens in 0.31), so you'll need to kill them using your military.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »

Or you can use the dungeon master fix.

Or you can remove all the EXOTIC tags from them in the raws. So then you can tame them and then eat them :D
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

bleh.fu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:21 pm »

The reliable, albeit tedious, method I use to dispose of captured animals (and goblins) is to create a room with the cage, 1-2 weapon traps, and a door. Connect lever to cage, flip lever, hilarity ensues. I've noticed that connecting levers to cages uses 2 mechanisms, but only returns one after the cage is opened. Can someone confirm this?

Being a vulture, make sure that your room has a ceiling.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:10:37 am »

I've noticed that connecting levers to cages uses 2 mechanisms, but only returns one after the cage is opened. Can someone confirm this?
It takes 2 mechanisms to link a trigger to a building because it takes 1 on the lever-end and 1 on the building-end. When you pull a lever linked to a cage, it deconstructs the cage building, thus releasing all of the materials used to build it, namely the cage and mechanism. The mechanism for that linkage on the lever, however, doesn't get pulled off of the lever. You can recover both mechanisms (as well as the one used to actually build the lever) by deconstructing the lever. This is, of course, impractical if the lever was linked to anything else, but if you built the lever just for that cage, it's not that big a deal.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:33 am »

do note that all the mechanisms on the lever count toward its value. It's thus technically possible to make a lever so valuable that every dwarves would be ecstatic just from caressing it.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:16 am »

just simply open up the related creature raws in your savefolder and change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] ..

i guess as long the dungeonmaster is broken its a rather better method

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:08:45 am »

Even if you could butcher them, they're still nigh useless. Only 9 units of meat.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:08 am »

Can they be used as guards to spot stealthy invaders?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »

The reliable, albeit tedious, method I use to dispose of captured animals (and goblins) is to create a room with the cage, 1-2 weapon traps, and a door. Connect lever to cage, flip lever, hilarity ensues. I've noticed that connecting levers to cages uses 2 mechanisms, but only returns one after the cage is opened. Can someone confirm this?

Being a vulture, make sure that your room has a ceiling.

That works just fine for anything caged. A small room, a 1 tile wide corridor leading from it, and lots of weapon traps with steel discs in the weapon traps. When you open the cage with the lever the creature will attempt to escape, and run right into the weapon traps.

To recover all mechanisms you also need to deconstruct the lever.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:56:03 pm »

if they aren't a building destroyer, you can use a locked door to keep them in that 1x2 room.
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH