Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bug or bad play? farming  (Read 869 times)

viking1976

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
bug or bad play? farming
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:20:32 pm »

I have some problems with farming.

I've embarked at several places already but i can't seem to get my farms going. 

I'm new at the game but i've read alerady several tutorials before I deceided to bother you all with my problem.
I use the latest version of the game (I think, is there a way i can verify that) that i downloaded from the bay12 website a week ago.

Lets see if I can explain how I start a farm.

Because I already failt several times to succesfully start a farm I just built it where i was.
Its sand ground.  I removed plants and trees.  I have a farmer and he may do nothing except farming (fields), no hauling no wounds treating, just farming.

Wen i hit q and look at my plot i can see several seeds for outside farming like prickle berries.  I choose seeds for the 4 seasons and i hit esc.

But none of my farmers will even look at my plot.

I am sure i am doing something wrong becaus if it was a bug I would have seen other post already on this forum. 

My brother plays with the previous version and he has no problems with that one.  I've asked him to try with the latest version and he experienced the same problems as me.

Can some of you tell me what i am doing wrong. :):) 

Thanks

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bug or bad play? farming
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:46:29 pm »

I can think of two possible reasons here:

- Firstly: are your dwarves allowed to go outside? I think that you can still forbid them to go outside at all in the current version, so this might be a reason why they ignore your farming plot.

- Secondly: The prickle berry seeds appear as a possible crop in the q-list of the farming plot as soon as your plant gatherers collected some fresh prickle berries. However, since your plant gatherers are most likely inexperienced, they didn't bring any seeds with these berries. You'll have to brew the berries up into some drinks to have the seeds, or you'll have to wait until a dwarf eats the berry to have the seeds.

Could you check your stockpile (z -> stock) if you actually have prickle berry seeds available or just the fresh berries?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:08:00 pm »

- Firstly: are your dwarves allowed to go outside? I think that you can still forbid them to go outside at all in the current version, so this might be a reason why they ignore your farming plot.

I think that was scrapped completely and replaced with the burrows system.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:48 pm »

Yeah, sounds like you might NOT have seeds for your farmer to plant yet.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »

doesnt sand need irrigation now?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »

doesnt sand need irrigation now?

Not if it's above ground.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »

Does that mean underground loam has been fixed?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:08:49 pm »

Yeah, sounds like you might NOT have seeds for your farmer to plant yet.
I agree. Hit z, go to "kitchen" and see what seeds you have. It will only give you approximate amounts, but it should clear this up.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

viking1976

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:05:41 am »

Thanks guys.  I always thought that I had seeds because i had the option to choose them.  I will check my stock in the kitchen.