Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graniteblaze and the Thousand Year War  (Read 755 times)

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graniteblaze and the Thousand Year War
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:15:42 am »

Moved from my attempt at fishing for advice: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60551.0

As far as being newbie goes, I probably couldn't build a pump stack to save my life, but I'll be damned if I'm passing up this much Fun.

A solid third of all the legends of an entire world, revolve around this travesty. One I aim to end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the game kept wanting to crash and spoil my ambition. Oh well. Successively had to size it down to max embark -4 rows on all sides but top.

We have embarkment! Despite my earlier fears, the game is running remarkably smooth and fast, despite the massive amount of creatures and stuff happening on-screen.

---

Graniteblaze, The Firey Standards, has a wealth of land sprawling all around Menacehand. The four towers of legend stand, looking north from left to right; Torment, Despair, Terror, and Fright.

We have mountains to either side, beneath our feet, and a bowl before us where the towers stand. Torment fills a valley that would have otherwise been a secondary path into the bowl from the north; but we came from the south! Torment is the tallest of them all, a six story structure, and even at this distance we can see the monstrous form of Lural atop it. Prisoners of The Terrible Ghoul are being paraded and sorted into the towers, even after these three years there are plenty of survivors.

But what disturbs me most, are all the children.

I find myself, almost enchanted by their friendliness. The chain look comfortable, even Lural seems inviting.

To shake off Lural's corruption, we hit the tankard, and hit the dirt. We need to dig in before they change their minds about us. We need to be prepared before they notice any more of Zon's conscripts migrating in.

We excavate a hall for frontline defence, and set to building sturdy doors of stone, and comfy beds of willow. Good thing we brought a baker's dozen of logs, because the only sprinkling of trees is on the other side of their towers.

---

Lural ... A great scaley armadillo twisted into humanoid form, it has a bloated body, beware its fire! He is very skinny. A thousand years of attempts to take him down have failed. How will we, NOT?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:21:26 am by Dowjin »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graniteblaze and the Thousand Year War
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:25 am »

Perhaps this isn't that kind of game/story, but I request a dwarf!

Indricotherium
Sex, job, all unimportant. Whatever you need I will be!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:33 am »

A nice, easy way to end this war would be to dig under the towers and compromise their foundations. The great fall of Torment!

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:30:09 am »

Keeping an eye out on this thread. Should be interesting. BTW have you considered the Friendship mod at all? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55713.0
for a community fort it may be interesting.

Anyhow, interesting story line.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:35 am »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine