Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No option for Pig Iron or Steel.  (Read 782 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No option for Pig Iron or Steel.
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

I've got Iron, Charcoal, and a Magma furnace but no option for making Pig Iron. It worked once so I have some Pig Iron in sock but there is also no option for making Steel. I have no idea why.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
Re: No option for Pig Iron or Steel.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »

To make steel, your dwarves mix pig iron with either charcoal or coke. To make the pig iron, they mix ordinary iron and bacon flux stone. There's a list of what stones are and aren't flux on the wiki, the only one I can remember off the top of my head is marble.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:59:13 pm »

Pig Iron also requires flux.  The stones you are looking for are limestone, dolomite, chalk, calcite, and marble.  The first 3 are sedimentary layer rocks, and will be layers near the surface.  Calcite is found in small clusters in limestone and marble.  Marble is a metamorphic layer stone, and will usually be quite deep.  I tend to find marble at or below the 2nd cavern layer.  You can also order a little flux from the Dwarven caravan, but even a max request will only bring 4 of each stone, and they might not have some (or any) types of flux.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Mimir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »

If a burrow overlaps your smelter the furnace operator will not consider materials outside the burrow.

Mimir.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »

I totally forgot about Flux, I've run out! Arg! Thanks for the reminder JMZ.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:51:13 pm by Slackratchet »