Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many times has THIS happened to you?  (Read 1533 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
How many times has THIS happened to you?
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:34:28 am »

So yeah. What do you do when you get a dwarf stuck in a trench, and REALLY don't want to mess up the surrounding (oft architecturally crowded) fortress with stairs?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: How many times has THIS happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:43:07 am »

Once. I learned about staircases after that.

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:42:36 am »

You can build and deconstruct stairs in empty space instead of carving them, and hope the dwarf who is doing the deconstructing doesn't get stuck in the same place.
'I have enough barrels!'

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:07:43 am »

Magma.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:57:45 am »

One time I lost a glassmaker in the caverns. See, when you reclaim a site, all the mud disappears. This is bad because you then cannot farm. So, I built a pump to irrigate my cavern. However, I made an error in the design of this pump, and the poor glassmaker was tossed into the water by the pump's backwash. He was a tough little fellow though, and he managed to swim to shore. Problem is, it was the wrong shore. My miners were too stupid to go and get him out for two entire years, so I just enabled plant gathering on him. Little guy survived more than two dwarven years in that cavern. Should be able to engrave that.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:33:31 am »

One time I lost a glassmaker in the caverns. See, when you reclaim a site, all the mud disappears. This is bad because you then cannot farm. So, I built a pump to irrigate my cavern. However, I made an error in the design of this pump, and the poor glassmaker was tossed into the water by the pump's backwash. He was a tough little fellow though, and he managed to swim to shore. Problem is, it was the wrong shore. My miners were too stupid to go and get him out for two entire years, so I just enabled plant gathering on him. Little guy survived more than two dwarven years in that cavern. Should be able to engrave that.

True Dwarf™
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:28:45 am »

Lost - Season D

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:04 am »

So he survived for two years just by foraging plants. That dwarf shall be treated like a king. (Not in the dwarven sense. You know, NOT killing him.) He's not a True Dwarf, he'd have to brew his own beer to be a True Dwarf.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:55:00 am »

He probably did. Strangled those plants so hard, they cried beer.

I've had the issue of digging too deep. Even with stairs, the dwarves' pathfinding skills sucked enough that they couldn't find their way back out most of the time. I've hit about 4 adamantine veins in separate locations on the map, but I've yet to awaken any terror of shadow and flame. There have been 4 Forgotten Beast attacks on my fortress to date.

The first was a cave crocodile with a shell and hair. He relinquished a LOT of bones, shells, hair, and meat.

The second was a humanoid with wings made of steam and loved the water. He forced me to drain an underground lake into the magma sea to lure him out.

The third was a quadruped made of coal and a noxious breath that caused temporary dizziness and seemingly permanent blindness. He didn't feel pain and he didn't bleed. Even with a squad of Hammerlords, they broke all the body parts he had and even lopped a few off, but couldn't remove the head. Now I have a squad of blind dwarves and 22000 dwarfpounds worth of coal.

The fourth was a quadruped made of mud and shot ice. This time, he couldn't even hurt a cat (literally, even with a direct hit from his freeze attack). His rampage ended in an instant when a Hammerlord came up and smacked him into a wall, cutting him in half. Now I have a strange material in my fortress that weighs less than one dwarfpound and has no material name. It's been reported already.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:13:20 pm »

How many units of coal is that? Also, the "made of mud" part is probably why that thing was so weak. Mud isn't exactly strong. How could that thing even move anyway?

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:33 pm »

They don't use the creature's body for resources, apparently. It's just sitting in the refuse pile outside. Took the haulers a good month or so to get it up there. Either way, it would have been worth about 234 if the coal was unrefined. I did the math.

I think the steam-made one residing in water for a whole season warrants more attention over the mud one, honestly. He died in about the same time span, but still, steam in water. The logic makes my brain sad.

I had another Forgotten Beast. This one was a humanoid made of Rutile that spat a "poisonous gas" about 2 squares in front of it, but didn't seem to do anything to the dwaves. It, too, took forever to kill, just like the coal beast. If anything, the poisonous gas was its blood or whatever you want to call it. The dwarves got nasty chemical burns on their bodies if it came into contact with their skin. Fortunately, they were all wearing full iron sets of armor.

An even stranger thing happened with this beastie. During the fight, my Swordmaster cut off both its arms, and somehow, it still managed to kill a hammerdwarf. According to the report, it pushed the dwarf (with what, I don't know), which sent his skull into his brain and killed him instantly. This is after who knows how many turns of him harmlessly punching them until his arms got hacked off.

Before the fight, it got into a tangle with a cat, as most invaders do. The cat managed to fracture and cut open it's right leg (the creature is still made of Rutile) before strangling the cat to death.

In case you are wondering, the Rutile Beast weighs 22999 dwarfpounds, and that's not considering the other body parts I can't find in the mess in the garbage dump. It, too, is worthless as a building material.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 01:55:12 pm »

An even stranger thing happened with this beastie. During the fight, my Swordmaster cut off both its arms, and somehow, it still managed to kill a hammerdwarf. According to the report, it pushed the dwarf (with what, I don't know), which sent his skull into his brain and killed him instantly. This is after who knows how many turns of him harmlessly punching them until his arms got hacked off.

It's just a flesh wound! (monthy python voice)
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 02:40:14 pm »

They don't use the creature's body for resources, apparently.

That's a shame. It would be pretty awesome to have statues made out of Forgotten Beast corpses, even if you're the only one who knows...

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »

The third was a quadruped made of coal and a noxious breath that caused temporary dizziness and seemingly permanent blindness. He didn't feel pain and he didn't bleed. Even with a squad of Hammerlords, they broke all the body parts he had and even lopped a few off, but couldn't remove the head. Now I have a squad of blind dwarves and 22000 dwarfpounds worth of coal.

I fought a creature almost exactly like that... Except with a near instantly killing sting.

Hacked off all his limbs, and he still wiped out about 50% of my fortress.  I was under siege at the time though, so I just opened the door and let the gobbies and him duke it out.

...Didn't count on them winning and destroying my fortress though...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 04:22:50 pm »

Such is the fun of Dwarf Fortress. Forgotten Beasts need to be used as fuel. If only to burn.