Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Larger World  (Read 769 times)

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Larger World
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »

Is it possible to mod some file somewhere to gain the ability to generate a world significantly larger than the 256x256. Because I would love having an epic game on a 1024x1024 world.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Larger World
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:21:40 pm »

should've searched this before, because if you looked within three pages of the first one you'd have found the answers

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't've.  I just did my own search, since I never really recalled anyone talking about this, and got nothing.  However, from personal experience, even modding the world_gen.txt file won't get you different world sizes.  You can't generate a 30x30 world, nor a 1024x1024 world.  Just those select few values that the game offers.  Not sure if anyone's ever hacked the .exe to change that though.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

I was going to find the thread for him and then snark on you for being unhelpful, but all I can find is a thread from 40d saying that it is impossible.

I can see saying you should search with no other information if there is some procedure to follow, it would be a pain to type.  But as far as I can see, this is downright impossible.  Why not just say that?

Also it was on the 3rd page OUT OF THREE.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60791.0

I gave it a spin.  Unfortunately, 17 is minimum smallest, and 257 is maximum largest when it comes to worldgen size.  For those interested, it actually genned VERY quickly.  Ringworld style might be a good way to get alot of space without taking forever to gen.

Here's what it looks like as of 1050.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)