Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Benny Hill" fix?  (Read 2528 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Benny Hill" fix?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:42 am »

I don't use the kill order either. I just order them to defend a burrow. They seek and destroy everything hostile in the area.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 07:38:12 am »

I was ordering them to move.

I'm seeing this happening now in hunting too, I think it is a bug in pathfinding that happens when there are more units on the map. If the hunter's prey runs out of range, the hunter flips out and absolutely HAS to pathfind to whatever spot he was going to, even if the prey ran in the opposite direction and is now on the other side of the map. Usually by the time the hunter realizes what is going on, the prey has left the map, taking a dozen stuck-in bolts with them. I haven't been able to kill a damn thing in over a year, with 5 hunters.

The bug seems to happen when there are more dwarfs. I noticed other bugs in pathfinding too with more dwarfs, my dwarfs USED to sleep in their assigned beds but now they sleep wherever they can, usually in the first available bed or sometimes on the open ground. I'm on a 2x2 embark so distance should not be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:14:14 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:11 am »

As the ranged weapons are probably fixed in the next release, this shouldn't be such an issue anymore.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:40 am »

Not if the problem is in pathfinding. :D

I was regularly slaughtering unicorns with a single hunter before.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Joe-Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 03:52:13 pm »

I barely ever use the kill order, using move to get the dwarf close, then having the dwarf sprint off after the target as a result of this seems to work good for me.

Best way to make the chase shorten... Recruit dwarves that are already agile or spend more time sparring. :D

This is very true. Well trained dwarves will have less trouble catching their prey; since if you have them loaded up with armor they will take speed penalties if their Armor User skill is too low. I think sparring and individual training also increases their stamina, which increases the likelihood that the animal will get tired before they do.

Of course, I haven't had these problems with pathing, so I can't really help you there. The above method is just a workaround that will let your guys "catch up" with whoever they're chasing.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

Here's a way to program an Interception, which requires only one extra bit of info: Where the enemy was last time. If we remember that, then the following becomes possible:

The big circle on the left is our military hunter, The large circle on the right is where the target is NOW, and the tiny dot on the right is where the target was THEN.

Notice that an angle is formed between the connecting line between hunter and huntee, and their respective beams. If the speeds are comparable, then all the hunter has to do is place the target at the same angle.
Pages: 1 [2]