Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin seige trash solution?  (Read 540 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin seige trash solution?
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »

Hey I noticed when you kill a goblin, it decides to take off all of it's earrings, crowns, bracelets, clothes, etc before it dies. This makes the clean-up process after a 20 goblin ambush take longer than the time before the next one! Using 20 as an average, a goblin tends to have about 6 articles on them when they aren't wearing copious amounts of bling, meaning there's at least 20 goblin corpses, 0-60 body parts, and 120 articles as a minimum for a small seige. Of course, after collecting the trash, the dwarves decide to place it in a stockpile, and do a bin juggle during the afterseige too.

I'd suggest having worn clothes stay on the body after creatures die, and possibly be 'extracted' or 'processed' in a way similar to a butcher shop, or until the dwarves decide to do something about the articles.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin seige trash solution?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:53:51 pm »

There's a thread somewhere around suggesting this that was very recent. I believe there were less recent ones as well.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:56:46 pm »

I think in one of the older versions it used to work like this. This was a version just after the changeover to the 3D from 2D. I remember being able to butcher goblins (by removing butcherable_nonstandard) and corpses would be hauled right to the butcher workshop from the battlefield. Once the butchering was done the dwarves would then haul all of that goblinite from the butcher workshop.

Its been a long time though. I could be wrong, but I think I do remember this happening.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »

This has long been a goal, but as I understand it, it's technically difficult to do,so Toady's waiting until he's finished shoring up some of the game's underlying mechanics.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »

"Corpses should be containers" is #25 on the Eternal Suggestions Voting.  The thread apparently has Footkerchief suggesting it, himself.

Honestly, I would consider this more a problem of dwarves being unable to carry more than one object at a time, myself.  You should be able to carry all the goblin bling in one run (whether we use a wheelbarrow to do it or just have dwarves capable of carrying up to a certain amount of mass, regardless of whether they have a tool for it or not), which would also solve this problem.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:16:14 am »

This is true. I'm guessing it's because creatures technically possess items, and aren't actually part of the limb. If it were the case, bracelets could protect wrists, and earrings could protect, well, ears.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale