Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help on an exploding creature?  (Read 3261 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Help on an exploding creature?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:50:32 am »

You could make it bleed superhot blood that does not evaporate or take heat damage, and would meltBOIL its own skin. This would hurt anything caught by blood spray, and I think melting something'sBOILING skin would encourage more blood spray (I could be wrong).

This isn't exactly exploding on contact, and it requires it be struck once, but until bodyheat works better I think this is the best you've got.

Suggestion: You could give it verminhunter so it adopted dwarves and ran towards them (without taming itself)

EDIT: Bonus points if the boiling skin has an associated syndrome, although I have no clue how you'd even go about doing that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:56:08 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:10 am »

Now that you mention it, YES, I am definitely putting verminhunter in there. That's a great idea.

@Riversand Yeah, it might be. I don't really play that, but my friend has been playing it a lot - and that is something he's mentioned - and then all of a sudden "came up" with an idea that I liked, so I decided to make ti.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:31:21 am »

while i can not help, i am wonderinf if this is inspired by minecraft creepers.
=
[LISP]

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 01:44:14 am »

An exploding creature? Well while I can't exactly make a creature explode in the 2010 version. I can however make it still kill all dwarves within range with intense heat once it dies. And of course it's corpse will release lots of smoke and burn forever from all that I've done. It requires a couple of steps though, mainly creating a material item, creating the heating effects that relate to the material item, and finally making the corpse of that said monster die and leave that said material behind that'll burn and kill any dwarf that's in range (course it they're fighting it your good as dead once it dies.)

As for explosion effects though, I can't make that possible.

But if any of you are interested in the thing I just mentioned I'll post up the sample.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:23:36 am »

Hmm, that sounds like it could work until I could find a way to make it explode, but I'm gonna mess around with some suggestions here first. (Which I still haven't bothered to do. :P)

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:34 am »

Since DF doesn't have explosions at all, your not going to be able to make an exploding creature.  It has been tried before and until toady actually adds explosions and the accompanying shockwaves and blast effects the nearest thing you can get is incendiary materials, fireballs, and "acid blood" type creatures using the material and disease effects others have mentioned..

Btw giving it verminhunter will cause it to chase vermin around and then just kill itself when it tries to attack the first one it catches.  Just make it hostile to dwarfs with a melee primary attack so it will go up to them attack, it's not that complicated.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:09 am »

The undirected material breath attacks will only fire when the creature gets close to its target. Combine that with some sort of material that's deadly to itself and others (instant full-body paralysis syndrome?) and that's probably the closest you'll get to a creature that explodes when it gets near something.

Alternatively, you can make a creature explode when it dies by giving it a material that boils at any temperature for an itemcorpse.

EDIT: just remembered, dust breath attacks flings creatures around. Use an undirected dust attack with a fatal syndrome that only works on the exploding creature, and you have an attack that's essentially a forceful explosion.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:48:36 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:18 am »

@Untelligent Hmmm... About your edit - so basically, the creature breathes the dust, forcefully pushing things back, while contracting a disease, thus killing itself? That could probably work. I'm currently trying to make it bleed boiling blood.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

Yeah, and stuff in the dust cloud can also get flung upwards, taking significant damage from falling.

You want UNDIRECTED_DUST for this.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:41:54 pm by Untelligent »
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »

Ok, I'll try to get that going. Thanks.  :D

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »

Would it be possible to make it breathe dragonfire (centered around itself?), while not being immune to it's own dragonfire? That'd be a pretty good explosion.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:32 pm »

@Solace I didn't know you could control the dragonfire like that.

@Untelligent I forgot to ask, how exactly do you make it breathe stuff like that? I mean, make the breath poison. And what do I use the material breath in? Do I add that as just a normal token?

Meh, me posting this thread in the first place was stupid too, since I really don't even know how to make a creature appear in game, let alone how to fully make one. -_-'
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:38:15 pm by Failular »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

You can't control dragonfire like that. It's a special hardcoded thing.

Anyway, I went and made a creature for you. Make a file in your object/raw folder called creature_sporesac.txt and stick this in it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When it gets next to a creature, it explodes and sends everything near it flying. It dies soon afterward, along with other nearby spore sacs. I had to put make them spawn in clusters, because creatures with only a couple body parts tend to die really easily and you can't get this sort of effect to occur on death, and they're slow, so they have to attack in groups if you want the explosion thing to happen before they die.

After the "explosion," they stop moving and quickly bleed out, which simulates a kind of "ruptured" effect.

Also they seek out and steal your booze, which should help get them to your dwarves.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 03:38:42 pm »

Oh ok, thank you very much.

EDIT: Oh, wow. Am I stupid. The only reason it didn't show up in game is because I didn't take it out of my work folder. :L (Regardless, it probably wouldn't have worked.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:41:13 pm by Failular »
Pages: 1 [2]