Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mercantilism  (Read 4458 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Mercantilism
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

Heh, didn't some country sink its entire stock of platinum into the ocean when they were afraid someone would use it for counterfeiting? I remember reading something like that once.
There was a short story by Roald Dahl in which a rich, dying man, buys a lot of platinum
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »

I like to imagine it works that way in real life and that we'd all be in spaceships colonizing the stars or even transcending into Gods by now if we hadn't pissed off the Creator by spreading coins and shit everywhere

"Me! Stop going to the store and buying socks! You don't need socks! You sit around the house barefoot all day on break! You're supposed to be updating stockpile records! RAAAAGE!"
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 05:40:08 pm »

Turns out Dwarf Fortress was an allegory on the dangers of consumerism all along.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

I thought Dwarf Fortress was trying to get us used to superior short humanoids so we would accept the impending Little People Takeover.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]