Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polite dwarfs  (Read 1451 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Polite dwarfs
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:20:58 am »

So, I just noticed my fishdwarf with the "Give Water" job and I was like "oh no someone has been injured this is bad"

He then proceeded out into the field, where my thirsty woodcutter was taking a nap, and gave him the water. The woodcutter is no longer thirsty and didn't even wake up.

What a nice fellow!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polite dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:42 am »

Likely that your woodcutter has a pending jail sentence. Something seems to be making thirsty dwarves get treated as prisoners if they're on the list, even if they're not caged yet. I've also observed prior hospital patients receiving the same treatment.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:36 am »

My fort of 18 dorfs. No nobles, no mandates, no crime whatsoever. After a hard day, my miner fell asleep on the floor. He was also thirsty. And - yes - other dwarf brought him water. I think it's sleeping while thirsty that makes dorfs be treated like injured or jailed.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:39:21 am by afoninv »
-
V.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:38 am »

My fort of 18 dorfs. No nobles, no mandates, no crime whatsoever. After a hard day, my miner fell asleep on the floor. He was also thirsty. And - yes - other dwarf brought him water. I think it's sleeping while thirsty that makes dorfs be treated like injured or jailed.

Yeah; the game is probably counting "unconcious" as a form of injured
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:12 am »

He just forgot to bring a glass of water to bed, so his buddy got one for him. What a bro.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:07:55 am »

Its actually a bug. Dwarves are now very eager to bring food and water to a dwarf even if the dwarf is not injured or confined at all. This was because previously there was a problem where dwarves would almost never do this, so the job priority was significantly increased.

Probably increased a bit too much, but I'd rather them bring a snack to sleeping health dwarves than ignore my injured dwarves to let them starve to death.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:18:03 am »

Its actually a bug. Dwarves are now very eager to bring food and water to a dwarf even if the dwarf is not injured or confined at all. This was because previously there was a problem where dwarves would almost never do this, so the job priority was significantly increased.

Probably increased a bit too much, but I'd rather them bring a snack to sleeping health dwarves than ignore my injured dwarves to let them starve to death.

Ah, the point is, what generates the 'Bring Water' job? Not just hunger/thirst, because I had many almost-dehydrated guys doing steel batch smelting in an over*cluttered* blast furnace. So game checks for status anyway. But if it does, why not check if that dorf is either 1) injured/'Resting' 2) a criminal?
So, the point is not in how eager are dwarves to bring food/water, but in status checking at 'Bring water' job generation.
-
V.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:43:28 pm »

I think I've seen this too, with the caveat being that since I had neither buckets nor water source (both fixed since then) it just spammed error messages to that effect.

All in all, think about it.  I tend to have a few uber-skilled dwarves doing very important work, and leagues of semi-useful haulers.  Now, if the plebians decide to look after their master's needs, feeding and watering him while he sleeps, who am I to complain?  As far as I'm concerned they should carry him along his daily commute to the workshops, open doors for him, shine his shoes and comb his hair.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »

This really needs to be reworked into an actual feature; food handlers would be a much, much more effective way of handing hungry and thirsty workers than the current system.

A thirsty miner down in the depths?

Have a vendor carry some booze down there.

A mason starting to get hungry will working on the walls?

A friendly wagonhop can take care of that. They can bring the food out, the mason eats, and gets right back to work.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »

This really needs to be reworked into an actual feature; food handlers would be a much, much more effective way of handing hungry and thirsty workers than the current system.

A thirsty miner down in the depths?

Have a vendor carry some booze down there.

A mason starting to get hungry will working on the walls?

A friendly wagonhop can take care of that. They can bring the food out, the mason eats, and gets right back to work.

what we're looking for is a catering service!
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 05:57:36 pm »

I noticed this last night when I started getting 'cant bring water, no bucket' messages.  I quickly slapped out some buckets to see if I could follow the water carriers to the injured dwarf that I could not find, and the guy takes the bucket into the dorm and pours it over the head of my sleeping thirsty tailor then drops it on the floor and leaves.  Made me chuckle.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

ooh ooh, now that i think about it...

after first embarking somewhere in 31.08 it kept saying "Urist McLoser cancels give water. needs a bucket"

i neglected that...

a few months later after two migrant waves,i got spammed "Urist Mcthirsty has died of thirst"

all 7 of my founding dorfs died of thirst

and no i didnt have booze :/ it was a hard first year
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »

I have seen this bug in my fort as well. Due to an engineering oversight the tile of water right under my main well turns to ice every winter while the rest of the well's reservoir remains unfrozen, so to deal with this problem I built a second well in an underground tunnel that I make only accessible in the winter. However, half my forts population does not seem to realize that this second well exists until weeks after the well is made accessible, causing them to go to sleep thirsty. This causes my populace to give the thirsty ones water(often only for the water in the bucket to freeze before they can get it to the thirsty workers). This bug also results in me getting job cancellation spams that read "Worker Mcworker, Stoneworker cancels Give Water: No water source." which I believe is caused by the workers who do not yet realize the second well exists trying to give water to the thirsty.

I have also seen this bug during the non-winter months, which I suspect is the result of one of the workers becoming thirsty while he or she sleeps. I once had this happen to a woodcutter who woke up a got a drink of water before my hunter could give him water from a bucket, which resulted in her chasing the woodcutter all over the map trying to give him water. When I finally saw her again she was sleeping by the temple complex moat with the bucket of water next to her. So it seems that once a worker attempts to give another water, that worker will not stop until the water is given or the worker falls asleep from exhaustion.

RFHolloway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:59 am »

what we're looking for is a catering service!

* anicient dwarven female pushes beer trolley past workshop*

"Do you want anything deary?"

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:43:43 am »

Urist McCraftsdwarf: "Just leave the trolley."