Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Found something interesting about surgery  (Read 1284 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Found something interesting about surgery
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:33:44 am »

Okay, so I had a surgeon in my fortress. As far as I looked, he had always done surgery with patient resting in bed, but these were just fractured limbs. Now see what happens when he gets to repair a fractured spine:

1) Patient is resting in bed.
2) Surgeon proceeds to pick him up and bring to the table.
3) Surgeon drops the patient just near the bed and cancels the task because of "patient not resting".

Okay, I figure I should put the table right next to bed, it's quite fair and realistic. Then I see the following:
3) Surgeon puts the patient on the table.
4) Surgeon picks him up and brings him back to bed.
5) The medical history now marks "Brought to rest in bed, blah blah blah" for this day.
Oopsie.

Well then, I disable the "Recovering wounded" labor for the surgeon and:
3) Surgeon puts the patient on the table.
4) Surgeon starts medical operation.
5) Someone else comes and tries to bring the patient back to bed, then surgeon immediately relocates him back to table, etc.
6) So the patient is constantly fluctuating between bed and table, yet the surgeon does not cancel his task.

Then I finally lock the hospital doors and disable recovering wounded on everyone inside.
Voila! Complex fracture on lower spine repaired!
Maybe there's still hope for the poor soul.
Also, maybe this information will help you fellow DF players to save some dwarf lives and keep your sanity.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Found something interesting about surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:46:41 am »

Yeah the code should really check a flag to see if the patient is being worked on by a doctor and if so then remove them from the list of wounded that need recovering. Also stop the surgeons being such butter fingers.

Lishedir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:07 am »

My doctors clean wounds, set bones and sew just fine without too much hassle from my side. Anything above that and...well... hope dies last. Still, it's better than a dwarf with a broken leg laying in bed for 3 years.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »

Ah! Thank you so much Murphy, that was exactly the kind of workaround I needed for this bug. I had it on one of my miners who fell down due to a collapsing floor. He eventually died of thirst and hunger (the bug where no dwarves bring him stuff), but only after having been shifted between near-table and his bed several times over a few years. Next time this happens, I'll be prepared!

TopRamen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:14 pm »

Awesome! I'll have to try this when I get home. My docs actually perform very well-if a dorf gets to the hospital, generally they live. But I've had two spinal injuries sitting there for years now.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:09:26 am »

Hmmm, it's the same as with milking livestock - there is no flag that says "uh don't move this back to its original place, it's in a job" for creatures.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.