Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barn, livestock and semi-auto butchering only grown up animals  (Read 1262 times)

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Example says more than a hundred words:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Barn should take 3 z-levels (more if above ground and one wants to make fancy roof :) )

How it works in few steps (or should, I didnt have enough time to test it properly):
- chained breeding animal inside fences gives birth to, say puppies
- [one and only action from player] z-animals => set all to slaughter
- young puppies stays close to mother (in our case chained)
- time goes by, player forgets about birth, puppies etc
- puppies growns up and start to think "hey! I should go to meeting hall!" - and now the good part: the only way to MH is thru pressure plate connected to bridge on adjacent tile and blocked by pet inpassable doors (must be bridge due to delay it gives)
- puppie steps on pressure plate, then on bridge and stops on it couse doors are blocking its way, bridge retracts and puppy fall z-level below right to our butcher

For anyone that cares it is possible to do milking/maintanence on pets by locking outer doors in milker area (so butchers wont come over and wont slay prematurely) and unlocking doors to fences area (via lever or manualy)

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
It's just a sketch in my head (and notepad) as I dont have enough time to test it at all so if anyone would be willing to test it out or point flaws I would be more than happy. :)

Olreich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Barn, livestock and semi-auto butchering only grown up animals
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:00:15 am »

It looks good in 40d terms, but idk if 2010 still has virgin births on animals or if there actually needs to be some bumping.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:32:30 am »

Animals in DF2010 still reproduce by spores, so that should work.  The only problem I can see is that your dwarves will attempt to go and grab your animals off their chains to take them for butchering.  If you block access to the animals, then they won't be able to try to reach your meeting hall.

Retracting bridges also have the unfortunate habit of throwing any creature on them sideways in a random direction, up to 3 tiles away, when they retract, so it's possible for the animal standing on the bridge to be thrown back into the room when the bridge retracts.  Not really a problem unless the animal lands on the pressure plate, which will prevent the bridge from extending again.  On the other hand you can't use a floor hatch instead, because those activate immediately rather than with a delay like bridges do.

The player will also have to periodically re-designate all animals for slaughtering, unless baby animals inherit the 'ready for slaughter' flag from their parents.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:53:42 am »

i currently shoved every stray animal i own into a 8x8 room and locked the door,8 tame elk birds 5 troglodyes, dozens of cats and dogs, horses, mules,cows,donkeys

im going to open it up in 5 years ;)
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

This is very easy to do, and you don't even need any tame animals at all.

Just dig down to find a cavern. Equip a squad of 10 dwarves with nice steel armor and weapons. Designate the entire cavern as a burrow. Order 5/10 dwarves to defend the burrow all year round. Be sure to have butchering and tanning workshops next to a refuse stockpile.

Most creatures below are hostile, which means your military dwarves will hunt them down and kill them to defend the burrow. As soon as a group of animals are killed, a new one will spawn. And a new group, and yet another new group. Forever.

This leads to a never ending supply of fresh corpses, which are then butchered for meat, bones, fat, and leather. All done automatically. The only thing you have to worry about is dwarves being injured or killed. Generally this will not happen on regular, mundane creatures. You only need to worry if a forgotten beast shows up in which case your hunting squad will probably need some assistance.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »

Another option with the automatic hunting thing is first create a whole pile of large steel discs. I'm talking hundreds of them.

Then on the underground cavern, wall off the edges of the map in such a way that for each exit to the edge of the map there is only a single way in. Just 1 tile wide.

Put a weapon trap with 10 steel discs in that gap. I'd even recommend putting 3-4 weapons traps in a row, just to be extra thorough.

Animals would spawn on the edge of the map, and then path randomly through the map. This pathing would probably take them through the weapon traps, where the steel discs would kill them. Corpse is then hauled to a butcher workshop and turned into meat, bone, fat, and leather. All done automatically.

Upside to this compared to the military hunting squad is that it can be done all automatically with no risk to your dwarves. Downside is that it takes a lot of time to set up, including masons, engineers, and blacksmiths. Also a -giant cave spider meat roast- should be quite a bit more valuable than a -cat tallow roast-.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:26 pm »

Retracting bridges also have the unfortunate habit of throwing any creature on them sideways in a random direction, up to 3 tiles away, when they retract, so it's possible for the animal standing on the bridge to be thrown back into the room when the bridge retracts.  Not really a problem unless the animal lands on the pressure plate, which will prevent the bridge from extending again.  On the other hand you can't use a floor hatch instead, because those activate immediately rather than with a delay like bridges do.

Use a hatch with a delay switch.

Pressure Plate -> Floodgate -> Water activated pressure plate
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.