Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noticed something about the new military.  (Read 817 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Noticed something about the new military.
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »

Hey, y'all. I just noticed something about the new military skill system that I kinda like:

Since Misc. Object fighting became a skill, dwarves have gained the ability to use shields as rather effective weapons. In a recent game, I received a couple of highly skilled armor smiths very early, but have had to trade for weapons; as a result, a couple of my militia dwarves leveled their fighting and wrestling skills to a mad point. Lately, one of those squads has been on cave critter response, and the shield-wrestler among them has been leveling his Misc. Object User skill significantly. It's not quite as good as a proper weapon in a fight, but having a shield has respectably increased his damage output over a bare wrestler.

It lead me to a thought, would it be reasonable if Toady were to expand the fighting system to include a second attack tier; that is, when the RNG rolls to determine what attack a dwarf makes, to consider alternate-but-not-unorthodox attack methods (such as kicking, but not biting) alongside the secondary attacks made with the equipped weapon?

It would certainly add an element of realism; pommel strikes and blows with bucklers were common fighting techniques, and I think it would be cool for dwarves to be able to do the same without having to use awkward loadouts to train them.

On a completely unrelated note: I just watched a rather dwarfy fight where said shield-wrestler batted one creeping eye into a magma pool before turning 180 and embedding his shield in another, all the while curb-stomping a third.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:12:32 pm by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noticed something about the new military.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »

Given kicking is in the raws but just never seen, I think that is Toady's intent but he just hasn't gotten round to getting it setup right.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noticed something about the new military.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »

I have occassionally seen dwarves striking with pommels, flats of axes and shafts of spears. They're nice variations in the combat logs although less effective than the standard strikes.