Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Excess animals.  (Read 1977 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Excess animals.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 08:13:33 am »

Tried this with some goblins/trolls/cave crocs in cages once. I used "move goods to depot", selected the cages, and my dwarves casually let the prisoners out of the cages. They deserved what they got. How do I trade a cage with the occupants STILL IN IT?
You can't currently trade hostiles, they'll just get let out of the cages when your dwarves go to take them to the trading depot.  It's a bug that's been around a while.

In my latest fortress I've been dealing with excess tame animals by building an airlock mechanism that dumps them in the caverns.  They've mapped out the caverns for me, and provide early warning of forgotten beasts and other cavern inhabitants.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 08:31:15 am »

Ah ha, I like it! Still, what if there is nothing down there for them to kill and they just breed for the rest of the game?! Also, all the FBs I get seem to be pussies. I put three of my caged prisoners against two FBs and the prisoners won :/ Recently I did the same and it was down to one FB and one gobbo spearman. The FB was spitting something at the goblin, and the goblin was running around it in a circle. This went on for about 5 months. At this point the gobbo was uninjured but "very drowsy". I decided to change things up and opened the air lock back to the caverns and the goblin ran for it. He got about 5 steps down the corridor and immediately went to sleep, at which point the FB killed him.

When I first saw an FB I imagined something like the Balrog of Morgoth. It should be able to slay entire armies. Instead it gets killed by a troll, and two goblins. Weak!

Also I got a Bronze Colossus which fell in a river after slaying about 4 trade caravans. It never moved again, I guess it rusted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 08:33:38 am »

Ah ha, I like it! Still, what if there is nothing down there for them to kill and they just breed for the rest of the game?!
One of the neat things about the caverns in DF2010 is that underground creatures spawn off the edges of the map, just like aboveground.  I've had many of my brave animal cave explorers killed by troglodytes and durians and other things I can't remember.  Also had two Forgotten Beasts killed by the hippos I dropped down there, so the system seems to be working.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:31 pm »

Ah ha, I like it! Still, what if there is nothing down there for them to kill and they just breed for the rest of the game?!
One of the neat things about the caverns in DF2010 is that underground creatures spawn off the edges of the map, just like aboveground.  I've had many of my brave animal cave explorers killed by troglodytes and durians and other things I can't remember.  Also had two Forgotten Beasts killed by the hippos I dropped down there, so the system seems to be working.

Your animals get killed by this?

Spoiler: DURIAN (click to show/hide)

What the arse is a DF durian, anyway? There isn't any info on the wiki, at least none I could find.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:44:11 pm by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 [2]