Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple questions about deities and wars  (Read 644 times)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
A couple questions about deities and wars
« on: June 27, 2010, 05:54:02 pm »

Firstly, what does the last part of this deity description mean? It has me intrigued.

Mistrum Playfulgolds was a deity... depicted as a human and was most often associated with luck, games, and gambling. Its nature is still an intriguing puzzle to the learned.

Secondly, I noticed that in my histories that the goblins and elves had a war (one of many) over "a disagreement concerning the devouring of sapient beings". I've been away from the game a while, but I'm quite sure that both elves and goblins have no problem eating their enemies, so why are they fighting about it? Neither of them had been conquered, so they were using their original belief systems. Do the beliefs of individual civilizations vary in the current version, or is this just something that happens?

Third, another deity puzzle:
Disa was a force which was said to permeate The Forests of Heather. Disa was associated with rivers and nature.
This is curious. Could anyone tell me if this has any gameplay effects. Can a "force" or deity turn out to be an actual worldgen demon? I'll have to visit the forest in question.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:17:31 pm by Sylverone »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions about deities and wars
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:13:35 pm »

Not sure about the first bit.

As for the second bit, from glancing at the entity raws it seems that elves are only alright with eating sentients if the eater personally kills the victim, maybe that has something to do with it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:54:08 pm »

Disa was a force which was said to permeate The Forests of Heather. Disa was associated with rivers and nature.
This is curious. Could anyone tell me if this has any gameplay effects. Can a "force" or deity turn out to be an actual worldgen demon? I'll have to visit the forest in question.

The deities aren't "real" yet, so no, there's no real gameplay effect. A force is what the elves worship instead of dieties, it's nothing more mysterious than that. Spoilered because some people might not know this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:07 pm »

Alright. That's all fairly unsurprising, but thanks a lot for helping me know what's going on. I have another question. Looking at the historical maps in the legends, I've noticed that there are what appear to be civilizations, but they don't belong to the goblins, dwarves, elves, or humans. On the historical maps screen, moving the cursor over a normal civilization gives the civ's English name, such as "The Evils of Insight", a goblin civ in my world. Yet, these anomalous civs have untranslated names, such as "Trogokograylgin", "Gridiblursnis", and "Thlangis". I've tried using string search on several legends screens to find clues, but I can't find anything. They aren't listed as entities of any kind. I haven't yet tried tracking down messages about then in the event histories. I'd like to know what these are.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:44 pm »

Those are likely Kobold civs. I'm feirly sure Kobolds have the [UTTERANCES] tag or something like that, as their civs/individuals have random gobbledygook names not pulled from any language raws.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?