Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TEMPERATURE should be removed  (Read 802 times)

rlbond86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TEMPERATURE should be removed
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »

The current temperature system is slow, complex, and unnecessary. It's not worth the drop in FPS for what has such a small effect. Magma should be "hot", tiles adjacent to magma should be "warm", and everything else should be "normal." I suggest the current system be removed due to its negative effect on the game.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: TEMPERATURE should be removed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:03:07 pm »

Or you can just turn it off.

Edit:  To be sure, this is a less polished repost of the "Temperature should be abstracted' thread that you just posted in, only less genuine because it's ridiculous unlikely Toady's just going to flat out remove the temperature system from the game.  There's no real need for both threads.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:05:54 pm by Capntastic »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

Besides, quite a few people like the full temperature system.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 01:34:16 am »

The temperature system is great, allowing complex death traps like the infamous cryo-trap, encasing entire sieges or caravans in ice instantly.

The problem with the temperature system is that it is horribly resource intensive, and as DF is only a single core game you only have about 3ghz to go around.

The game just needs a lot of optimization, everything from temperature to pathfinding. Until that happens FPS will continue to doom more forts that goblins, magma, tantrum spirals, and HFS combined.