Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst Embark Location..  (Read 1193 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst Embark Location..
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »

So I started my game today, got things running, started my mine, chopping some trees, its a dangerous world out there by my courageous dwarves were going to meet it head on.. As my miners hacked away at the snowy ground all of a sudden tragedy! Four of my dwarves drown! Drown? But how? My minors have just began their work and the woodsman has barely finished felling a handful of firewood.. Then I see it.  My wagon had been sitting on top of a frozen pond that, sadly, unfroze.  The bulk of my goods as well as the bulk of my dwarves now sit at the bottom of the lake.. Braaaah...

So.. Any horror stories?

-MB

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Embark Location..
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »

Well, not me but there's classic embarks like this:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2193-ithinkifoundthebestembarkpoint

I'm looking for the one where he has multiple embarks spawn directly over the volcano, but I can't find it yet.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »

Well, not me but there's classic embarks like this:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2193-ithinkifoundthebestembarkpoint

I'm looking for the one where he has multiple embarks spawn directly over the volcano, but I can't find it yet.

That would be this one:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-701-shortestfortever
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

Have to love embarking on a frozen lake. Too bad that magma bug is gone. You possibly could survive that. Just have a miner dig a U-bend from the magma, and you're fine, because the magma isn't naturally pressurized.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »

In 40d, I had a random embark on a kobold cave. A dragon lived there. On the surface. He happily hopped to my wagon and roasted everyone. Only one dwarf managed to flee long enough to get roasted by the forest fire. Game over after a few ingame days.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 02:31:14 pm »

This is why you start digging as soon as you arrive. So that things like this don't happen. Unless you're just unlucky. In that case nothing can help you.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

Have to love embarking on a frozen lake. Too bad that magma bug is gone. You possibly could survive that. Just have a miner dig a U-bend from the magma, and you're fine, because the magma isn't naturally pressurized.

I remember another video around there somewhere where the dwarves started even closer to the volcano and died seconds after embark. Not quite enough time to get away and dig a u-bend.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »

I'm not sure it counts but two weeks ago while still a complete noob I spent an hour setting up to embark (figuring stuff out). Finally hit e it said... strike the earth. Next thing I see is a message saying a cave-in has occured. Everyone died outright; I couldn't do anything.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:57:04 am by flatlander »
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:22:23 pm »

I'm not sure it counts but a two weeks ago while still a complete noob I spent an hour setting up to embark (figuring stuff out). Finally hit e it said... strike the earth. Next thing I see is a message saying a cave-in has occured. Everyone died outright; I couldn't do anything.
Those are fun too. Instant cavein of the entire underground. You should see if you can get there with an adventurer, just to see what it looks like.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »

Those all have me beat. I had a 30 second embark today.  Right near a chasm full of Ratmen.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.