Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chaining Creatures  (Read 639 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chaining Creatures
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »

There should be a mechanism in place to allow dwarves to use restraints to trap an animal.  The resulting trapped animal would be handled in the same manner as a caged creature.  This way you could rope a wild horse, or use adamantine chains to tie up a humanoid being made entirely of bronze.

One day, caged creatures will begin to break out of their cages, when that mechanic is in place, it would also apply to chained creatures.

I think the mechanic would best be implemented as a command like the (K)ill command in the squad menu, and result in your squad grabbing chains (or maybe you'd need to assign them as a uniform option) and going after the creature you designate.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Chaining Creatures
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »

This would be nice, but there should probably be a token like [RESTRAINABLE] for creatures that can be caught this way, as you can catch a horse or a cow like this but not a dragon or a GCS. As a rule of thumb, if a creature is strong enough to throw you against a wall normally, it's strong enough to throw you with a rope too.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:35:53 pm »

hmm... maybe call it "lassoing" instead?  "Chaining" already exists in the sense of building a chain, and assigning creatures to it, which is what I assumed you were talking about from the title.

In terms of having tags, I would say that such a thing should be handled by an opposed strength check of sorts, where a dragon is theoretically restrainable... provided you have a dwarf with absolutely herculean strength, or can have teams of dwarves trying to drag that dragon down.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:37 pm »

Maybe just have the dwarves try to restrain the animal and if it's violent (like a dragon) it'll turn and attack them. If the dwarves all melt you can consider that a failed attempt.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:42:37 am »

It could be based on their wrestling skill.

Or "wrastling" skill, as the case may be.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:11:40 am »

I think "net" as a weapon type would make the most sense.
Chain nets could be much stronger than rope nets.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

This would be nice, but there should probably be a token like [RESTRAINABLE] for creatures that can be caught this way, as you can catch a horse or a cow like this but not a dragon or a GCS. As a rule of thumb, if a creature is strong enough to throw you against a wall normally, it's strong enough to throw you with a rope too.

I'm against this and in favor of some kind of opposed strength check or other mechanism because the reason why I was thinking of this was for restraining creatures that are unkillable or at least unkillable to the soldiers that you may have at your disposal (Bronze Colossi, for example).  The idea of chaining up some foul creature and throwing it into a pit is well-represented in classic fantasy and folklore.

I think a net and chain net would probably be useful for the underlying code, but the actual activity of throwing someone in shackles is much more common than the use of nets.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

Quote from:  Steve Irwin
Oy! G'day, everybody! Today, we're trecking through the 4th cavern layer, in search of the rare Bronze Colossus. Now, he's a strong one, so be very careful not to make him angry. Hey! D'you see that? There 'e went! After 'im!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »

Quote from:  Steve Irwin
Oy! G'day, everybody! Today, we're trecking through the 4th cavern layer, in search of the rare Bronze Colossus. Now, he's a strong one, so be very careful not to make him angry. Hey! D'you see that? There 'e went! After 'im!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Except that Steve Irwin wouldn't have chained one up, he would have just jumped on one's back, climbed up, wrestled the Bronze Collosus down, while evading all sorts of punches and flailings while opening up its jaws and showing off the "SAIZE OF THOSE FANGS!" before skipping off unharmed from the megabeast... (Only to be killed by a random lucky shot from a fluffy wambler.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare