Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: one way doors  (Read 791 times)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
one way doors
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:25 pm »

why isnt there one-way doors? it would be so easy to have one way doors, and have a very effective impact on the game
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: one way doors
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:20:03 pm »

It would be cool to have, but would it really be that great?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:22:18 pm by j0nas »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:51 pm »

Given the inability of doors to stop pathing from animals, I have to wonder about the actual traffic-directing abilities of a one-way door. 

I also have trouble seeing how it would be coded, as not all doors are in a one-tile-wide hallway with only two open tiles that creatures could stand on, making the door only "openable" from one tile, or "leavable" into another tile. 

If, for example, you have a room off of a hallway, and a set of double doors you want to be one-way, you could have seven empty tiles near this one-way door, if you are including the other one-way door.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:32 am »

why isnt there one-way doors? it would be so easy to have one way doors, and have a very effective impact on the game

Well, there is no such thing in real-life physics as a 1-way door.  Mostly.
I'm not sure if it would improve or hurt pathing?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:20:23 am »

A one way door is a push door on one side, and the other side has no way to pull.  You could simply use the "one way ramp", or pressure plates... but that could cause annoyances...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

If I'm correct about pathfinding it works by grouping areas that can/can't be reached. A door like this will probably mess up that system.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »

Fire doors? Door with a handle only on one side? I don't see the physics laws being broken there.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:35 pm »

One way streets really work both ways if you are careful.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »

Yes, if it's "can only be opened from one specific adjacent tile", then that doesn't mean that it would be impossible for creatures to try to path through that door, and just happen to walk through when the door was already open for one reason or another (DARN YOU, MONARCH BUTTERFLIES!), so it could still be two-way.

Of course, that depends on how pathfinding finds this at all... like I'd said before, animals do not recognize that a door is not closed to pets when pathfinding currently, resulting in animals that continuously waste CPU trying to pathfind through the same doors over and over again.

That makes this all come down to the pathfinding issue, which is a serious problem that needs to be addressed...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:47 pm »

Check the wiki. I remember reading about a bug that had to do with ramps and constructed floors which resulted in a 1-way ramp. I dunno if the bug has been fixed or not.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 11:42:49 pm »

animals do not recognize that a door is not closed to pets when pathfinding currently, resulting in animals that continuously waste CPU trying to pathfind through the same doors over and over again.

My cat does this in real life. I don't see the problem. :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:56:02 am »

My cat does this in real life. I don't see the problem. :P

Funny, my cats are capable of taking advantage of several in the doors in my house not being able to fully shut, and are capable of snaking a paw under the doorframe to pull the doors open when you want to keep them in/out.  If it's a door they can't open, they just do the next best thing: pound on it constantly for half an hour in the middle of the night while "raow"ing as loud as they can until someone who was only half asleep gets so annoyed they open the door for them just to shut them up.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare