Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New pastime for nobles/New civ. element  (Read 645 times)

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New pastime for nobles/New civ. element
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:03:16 am »

Recently the proletariat dwarves of my fortress grew tired of the demands and punishments of the pesky bourgeoisie nobles.  In turn many nobles who had no real contribution and plenty of demands of the fortress founds their doors locked and died a long agonizing death of starvation.  However, when their replacements were sent the new hammerdwarf made a point to show that any signs of rebellion would not be tolerated and began making quick work of many of the prominent working class dwarves.  Among the first to be murdered was none other than my beloved Erush Kamaril.  She was of the founding 7 and legendary stone worker, mason, and engraver.  Her labors brought priceless beauty and high wealth with her beautifully illustrated engravings that covered every stone surface she could access.  In earlier days she was in the military and responsible for holding off more elves than one she dwarf should.  She was a great asset and friend to us all.  Her loss has not gone unnoticed.

This leads me to my idea, whether it be modded or not.  First off, torture workshops.  I would love to have a dwarf whose sole job was to manage prisoners - be they Elves, goblins, or worse yet, those spoiled nobles-and make sure they spend the rest of their pathetic lives being tortured and punished.  When a noble is placed in one of these workshops, he or she will no longer be able to make any demands, as they will fall upon uncaring ears.  The only thing they will mutter is cries for a quick and sudden death, which would be far too nice. 

Furthermore, I was thinking about the tax collectors job.  What if, say, their was a "royal" tax collector who came every year to your fort, met with your local tax collector, and took his share back to the king. It would be cool I think if one day when he shows up he learns there are no taxes to collect.  He obviously threatens you to pay the back-owed taxes or face punishment, an to allow the noble dwarves to once again take control of the fortress, as their interest is of the kings.  If his demands aren't met and your fortress is truly one owned by the proletariat working class, war will come of you.  Any dwarven populations loyal to the king would begin to siege and so forth.  However, either by your example or at their own cause, other dwarven cities may choose to "rebel" from the monarchy and write their own future.  This would allow you to continue to trade with certain other factions.  I also kind of like the idea of a potential civil war element this leaves.  Also, this is obviously up to the player to decide.  Maybe the goblin hordes are enough and it's just better to submit to the King's authority and things stay peachy. 

This is just one man's hopes and dreams.  Tell me what y'all think and feel free to continue from where I left off, if it so fits your fancy.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New pastime for nobles/New civ. element
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:40:44 am »

i like having to kick up to the king. maybe once you get a duke.

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

I like it. Maybe if you GET a king, taxes are owed to YOU.  Of course, I wouldn't get that far, being inclined to pay my taxes in !!MAGMA!!

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:10:25 am »

Make a room with spike traps with one glass spike each.
link the spike to a pressure plate in the dining room.
Dump any incoming nobles in.
Here is your perfect torture workshop.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!