Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast... just sitting there?  (Read 2065 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast... just sitting there?
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:28:37 am »

I've got a forgotten beast just hanging out on the other side of a wall keeping my dwarves safe from the caverns... causing a flood of cancelled job spam.  But he can't access the tunnel, he's just sitting on the other side of it... preventing my dwarves from moving past.

What do?
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast... just sitting there?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:00:42 am »

If you've got a pretty decent military, tunnel into the cavern from somewhere else and sally forth to kick its ass.

If not, you may want to consider building some new stairs/tunnels/whatevers so you can reroute around the problem area.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:10:37 am »

If you've got a pretty decent military, tunnel into the cavern from somewhere else and sally forth to kick its ass.

If not, you may want to consider building some new stairs/tunnels/whatevers so you can reroute around the problem area.
I've tried sending my miner down there, but he won't get close to the thing...  and I can't dig another tunnel through the cavern without it attacking my miners.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:00 am »

I've tried sending my miners down there, but he won't get close to the thing...  and I can't dig another tunnel through the cavern without it attacking my miners.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:40 am »

O.o what the hell... why'd it copy my post...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45:49 am »

Rocks fall, FB dies.

In other words, cause a cave in on it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:44:59 am »

Or, assuming it isn't magma-proof, pump the cavern full of magma.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14:44 am »

Only problem with those ideas is... I can't get my dwarves close enough to it to do a cave in, and I haven't pierced the magma sea yet (though I've hit a lot of semi-molten rock).

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:53 am »

Or, assuming it isn't magma-proof, pump the cavern full of magma.
this guy is thinking like a dwarf.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:13 am »

How about making a burrow around the parts of your fort you want everyone in at, assigning everyone there(or putting up an Alarm) and if you still have people afraid to head up due to the FB that can't get to them in any way, recruit 'em and station them within the burrow?

Soldiers don't get scared of anything. Hopefully though the FB isn't close enough to some ledge for your recruited idiots to think "I can take him" and charging down at it.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:26 am »

Don't cave in immediately above it then!  So long as there are empty rooms (floor+ceiling) in the way, a cave-in a few z level above will tear through them and kill it anyway.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:05 am »

The dwarfy solution would be to dig empty space beneath it (with a floor still under it) down to the magma sea (or HFS) and a massive tower above it, reaching for the top of your map, from which to drop the block.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:34 am »

Oh crap... in trying to dig around him I ended up opening up my fort to this Fiend...  my two recruits were slaughtered...  I'm screwed.  >.<

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 01:49:59 pm »

First, pause the game and remove your weapon and armor stockpiles (this will be important). If your dead recruits' weapons and armor are not forbidden, then forbid them (we don't need lemming dwarves right now). Then, before you unpause, turn off all labors (removes mining and woodcutting issues) and recruit everyone. Give your miners their picks as weapons (because there is no stockpile, they will drop their weapons at their feet then immediately pick them back up to fight with). Try to gather up everyone, and near where your weapon and armor stockpiles if possible. Arm them with anything you have available. Now hope for the best.

BTW, what kind of FB is it?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:33:42 pm by Lagslayer »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »

Some kind of cave alligator with deadly secretions.  Though it doesn't really matter anymore... all my dwarves are dead already.