Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a Video Let's Play / Livestream?  (Read 1475 times)

Pathos

Making a Video Let's Play / Livestream?
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »

So, what do people usually use to record the games and their microphones at the same time? And / or do it livestream?

Thanks in advance, ladies. 8)

EDIT: My main problem is the combination of recording both voice and video, and being able to make it small enough to fit on YouTube (in individual chunks of ten minutes, obviously). I am an absolute beginner at this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:16:03 pm by Pathos »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Video Let's Play / Livestream?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:34:47 pm »

What I usually do is have the volume control set up to use "What U Hear" as its Recording source. Then you just have your mic on Line In and everything your soundcard produces is then broadcast; mic, system and all.

For capture software on a PC, you might want to try ManyCam at first. If performance is too laggy with that, VH Screen Capture is a much more powerful tool, but may take a while to configure properly. I'm using ManyCam right now (literally at this very moment, as it happens, lol) because VH's drivers are a bit fubared on my system at the moment.

Streaming from a console requires a Dazzle capture card or similar. I use an old Hauppauge 1100 TV card, though the quality is bad and there's a nasty video delay.

Hope that helps a bit, other more experienced LPers may give some better input.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »

What I usually do is have the volume control set up to use "What U Hear" as its Recording source. Then you just have your mic on Line In and everything your soundcard produces is then broadcast; mic, system and all.

For capture software on a PC, you might want to try ManyCam at first. If performance is too laggy with that, VH Screen Capture is a much more powerful tool, but may take a while to configure properly. I'm using ManyCam right now (literally at this very moment, as it happens, lol) because VH's drivers are a bit fubared on my system at the moment.

Streaming from a console requires a Dazzle capture card or similar. I use an old Hauppauge 1100 TV card, though the quality is bad and there's a nasty video delay.

Hope that helps a bit, other more experienced LPers may give some better input.

Yep, I'm using it on a PC. And it helps quite a bit, thanks. I was a bit worried about using Fraps, simply because of the file size, so if these are considerably smaller I will be a happy bunny. Also, I was pissing around on DOSBox, and Fraps doesn't seem to record that.

Volume control set on where?

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:10 pm »

Updated main post.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:38:05 pm »

Sorry, I got my wires a bit crossed there; those programs I mentioned are for streaming, not actually recording. I'd say FRAPs is probably what most people use. To cut down on filesize you could try recording at half-size and with a lower framerate, but for the most part, you'd probably have to compress the raw data in ten minute segments (perfect for Youtube) before trying to record anything further, or you'll quickly run out of disk space.

As for FRAPs not picking up DOSBox, does DOSBox have any display settings you could tweak? Specifically, you might want to try looking for "hardware overlay", and see if you can disable it. Most screen capture softwares have a hard time recording anything that's using a hardware overlay, due to a whole bunch of boring and technical nonsense involving display layers and other stuff I don't fully comprehend; all I know is, I've wrestled with it in the past, and I hate it. HATE IT. But that's the only reason I can think of why FRAPs might not be playing nicely in that instance.

About the volume thing; I'm still on WinXP, so I'm not entirely sure how much Volume Control has changed in later Windoze. However, for me, I just go into Volume Control in Control Panel, select Properties, and switch to the Recording option. Then the sliders change to display all my recording inputs, like Line In, "What U Hear", Analog Mix, Mic, etc. I tick the box under "What U Hear", which allows software like FRAPs to pick up both game audio and mic audio whilst it records the video.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:42:18 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.