Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfy disaster in RL (Leda clay)  (Read 1466 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfy disaster in RL (Leda clay)
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:29 am »

(This happened over a month ago, and I haven't been following the forums much recently.  But it doesn't appear to have been discussed here yet, as a search on "leda" only returns stuff related to Leda and the Swan.)

One hobby of sadistic DF players is to site a "fortress" on top of an NPC city, hollow out the ground beneath, and then install a self-destruct lever...

Seems Mother Nature enjoys this too.  Parts of Quebec, Canada have large deposits of "Leda clay", earth that can suddenly turn liquid under provocation. The deposits can be many metres deep, creating huge sinkholes when they go off.

Last month, she pulled the lever and killed a family of four:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/devastating-slide-in-quebec-was-like-the-end-of-the-world/article1565639/

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfy disaster in RL (Leda clay)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

Holy crap, man.

Some ancient dwarf might have built the mechanism... but it was an elf that pulled the lever.
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »

Definitely not a bug in Mother Nature, but a feature.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

Some ancient dwarf might have built the mechanism... but it was an elf that pulled the lever.
By "she pulled the lever", I was whimsically imagining a bored goddess, not an elf, human, or dwarf.  There's no indication that any mortal caused it.

However, thinking about it a bit, it doesn't sound like it would be that hard for a human to deliberately set off a Leda collapse.  Just need to get a simple bomb three meters underground....  Of course, you might set it off just from the drilling, and suffer a karmic death.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

Parts of Colorado have this same thing in the form of Pierre Shale. It collects water (especially from people watering their lawns, which everyone does because of the lack of rain, hence why they never noticed said absorption much) and then swells in a wave pattern. It splits houses, roads, etc. The land looks like an ocean made of dirt, all wavy and shit.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:54:25 pm »

Well piere shale is a nice thing. A German City constructed above a deposit of this stuff has experienced this shit. They did iirc build a shallow geothermal well to cool/heat the local Townhall and generate a small amount of electric energy. As they drilled they did go through a aquifer and then trough a waterproofed layer into the shale. Hilarty ensued and the building as well as the surroundings shot up by iirc a half Meter over the next few moths.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

Although it happened some time ago, Lake Peigneur struck me as an incredibly dwarfy disaster.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?