Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about Volcanos  (Read 1007 times)

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about Volcanos
« on: July 03, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

I managed to generate a satisfying amount of volcanos, with the necessary sand and ice that I wanted, but I have found that every volcano I have used extends stupid amounts of Z levels into the sky, keeping exactly the same shape, often towering well over nearby mountains/hills, with perfectly shear sides.
It is ok... but I don't like the feel of them, they're not very realistic!
Any idea how to stop volcanos extending so far into the sky? Or, if not, how to generate a good amount of surface magma some other way?
OR! If all else fails, how to bring the magma sea closer!
Thanks for any help!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Volcanos
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »

Sometimes the game places volcanoes on a glacier. This can be totally flat, or it can be 1 map tile of EXTREME MOUNTAINS!!!!!111 Looking around a lot is the best way to find what you're after.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:52:48 pm »

My preferred way to bring the magma sea up is to reduce the number of cavern levels to one. Works for me, but some people may not like that.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »

Basically, you have to generate a lot of worlds and look around using elevation map.  On occasion you'll get volcanoes that are at ground level (like here).  I don't know of any way to make that more common than the extreme mountain type.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:24 pm »

On occasion you'll get volcanoes that are at ground level (like here).
Your link is bad  >:(
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »

It was probably a link to this thread here.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.