Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: use for SCALE material?  (Read 3276 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
use for SCALE material?
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:37:56 am »

there are dragons in out wonderful world of DF...   they use the SCALE material instead of SKIN, but with things as they are currently, dropped scales do nothing...    would it ruin the game to adjust the tags on SCALE to match SHELL in that they can be used for the same things that shells are used for?   i think its the items_scaled tag...

i know this would be technically modding, but im suggesting it as a permanant implementation...   i want my dragon scale armor...  seeing as we cant get dragon leather armor anymore.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: use for SCALE material?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:02:03 am »

Perhaps they should be butcherable to leather AND scales? Much like plucking a chicken.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:07:36 am »

Sorry, I have to say it. In what other game would someone be unsatisfied at the quantity of a dragon's corpse they could use for armor crafting?

Seriously, DF is awesome.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:16 am »

would it ruin the game to adjust the tags on SCALE to match SHELL in that they can be used for the same things that shells are used for?   i think its the items_scaled tag...

It's the [SHELL] tag you need to add to make it work like shells.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:01:21 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:58 am »

It's the [SHELL] tag you need to add to make it work like shells.
I think he was asking about the potential impact of this, not how to do it. I don't think it would hurt the gameplay Drakis, and it isn't exactly cheating just making it usable.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

its partially the potential impact of it that i am looking at, but at the same time im asking if Toady could put a little work into making something permanant about how the SCALE material could be used for crafting stuff.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:02 am »

Not all scales. Using fish bones for bolts is dumb enough as is, adding fish scale armor would get eye roll worthy pretty fast.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:26:14 am »

Not all scales. Using fish bones for bolts is dumb enough as is, adding fish scale armor would get eye roll worthy pretty fast.
I don't know, fish bones regularly seemed to on the verge of doing in HRM The Queen Mother (maysherestinpeace), so a carefully aimed fishbone bolt could well be quite fatal to any gobbo whose comrades were unaware of the Heimlich Manoeuvre. :)

But, as for the OPs original idea...  Dragon scales being used in Scale Mail, came to mind[1].  Which means something other than merely making these items behave 'shell-like'.  Not really experienced with that level of Modding, but what with the noun and adjective aliasing that I think can go on, could this be partnered with "dragon shell" (a.k.a. "dragon scale") being used in a custom reaction where other types of shell cannot?  And/or allow normal "shell-mail" to be possible but substantially less advantageous through the intrinsic material properties.

[1] Which is traditionally a formidable protection, so should probably require effort or to make.  Whether that's something primarily represented by needing a number of scales equal to multiple (normal-sized) dragons, or merely to be represented by the very first intstruction in the manual of "First, kill your dragon", would be a point of discussion. :)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »

I disagree. Players should be able to make armour out of anything they want, but they'll have to face the consequences. Fish scale armour would be rather useless for combat, but it could serve as decoration.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »

I disagree. Players should be able to make armour out of anything they want, but they'll have to face the consequences. Fish scale armour would be rather useless for combat, but it could serve as decoration.
Well there are sturgeon in-game (I think). Those have pretty beefy scales. I could imagine making armor out of them easily, though you'd need more than one fish.

There isn't a lot of differentiation in the raws right now for material strengths. Once that's looked at more, and if crafting looks more at the material's actual properties vs. any hard-coded tags (like being able to make flint, quartzite, glass, etc. arrows with the same reaction as obsidian, for instance, based purely on their cryptocrystalline property), I think things will become more sensible.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »

Depends on the fish those bones and scales are from.

A large fish's bones I'd expect are quite strong and suitable for anything you can do with other bones.

As for scales--- shouldn't they start off like any other skin? We make leather out of snake, alligator, and crocidile in the real world, after all. Don't see it being any different for any other scaly creature. And shark skin is particularly sought after in some cultures.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:43 pm »

Sharks don't really have scales though :P

Plus, scale armour can be made from hardened leather patches as well, so there's little problem in there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »

He didn't say anything about shark scales...

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

Sharks don't really have scales though :P

Plus, scale armour can be made from hardened leather patches as well, so there's little problem in there.

Sharks do have scales. They just happen to be micro teeth, giving them a better interface with water (allowing them to more easily move through the water) and it helps protect them from other sharks bite (important during mating behavior).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »

Hrm, didn't know that.

Also I just noticed you sigged me. heh