Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Display materials/quality of built furniture  (Read 692 times)

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Display materials/quality of built furniture
« on: June 18, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »

This is probably discussed in the forum somewhere, or maybe even in the bug tracker, but I'm not sure what I would search on to find it.
I'm sure Footkerchief or someone will enlighten me if that's the case.

(2010 v*.3)
(by "built", I mean "placed with the build menu")
Currently, if you build a piece of furniture, it doesn't show anything about the furniture quality and in some cases the material either.
For example, I have a slate door of exceptional quality - all it says once it is built is "slate door".
I have a legendary green glass table, the Spark of Revering aka Ibmat Ebal.
Once it is built, all it says is "green glass table".
Beds are even worse, as they don't even say what the material is.  All beds are simply "bed".
This information would be particularly welcome and useful to display, since certain dwarfs prefer different materials and such.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:01:47 pm by culwin »

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Display materials/quality of built furniture
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken as to what you mean, you can already see the quality of built items by hovering over them with the 't' key instead of the 'k' or 'q' keys.  It's a bit unintuitive, but there you go.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:42:44 am »

Ohhh....  oops, nevermind!  :P

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:24:03 am »

why are there 3 possible interactions with the same item?  why do i have to exit the current command and have the cursor reset its position to enable a different piece of information to be displayed, and/or start a different interaction?  we all know im interested in interacting with the 'bed' for example (im tired), shouldnt i see all information pertaining to it, and allow all actions to be possible once i select it?

i think this is what the orig post was about .  maybe i completely misunderstood (or im projecting ;), but it seemed to be a gripe about the interface.  of course there are work arounds. and the UI is nowhere near done. (if the game is 31% done, then the UI is about 15.5% done).

it seems like small improvements like this in the interface will definitely help lower case fun, but maybe toady has bigger fish to fry.  i cant say i blame him, but i wish we could help.

not advocating open sourcing this beast, but we could have some one(s) step up to do the integration between game and UI, much like what was done with the drawing engine. i know his position on this and his points are fair.  hate seeing him write new UI's though, we could totally get some lackeys to do it, that do that sort of thing for a living ;), while he uses his valuable time to up the ridiculousness of this game.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:17 am »

It should definitely be on the 'k' command, but had I known I could see it with 't' I wouldn't have posted.
In the grand scheme of things, this is a really trivial complaint.
As long as I can see the quality and material somehow, I'm cool with that.