Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wildlife shouldn't all be exotic, especially with bugged DMs  (Read 1233 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife shouldn't all be exotic, especially with bugged DMs
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:04:56 am »

I doubt animal training would become much of a chore unless you insist on every animal being masterful at everything and never actually utilize their skills.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:45 pm »

Less hard than I thought
But we will need so many
animal trainers

On another note
writing haiku is quite hard
with chilli in eye.

I was about to
Ask why your posts are haikus.
Took me a while.

The last line is close,
Only 4 syllables though.
Haiku is plural
"While" is a two-syllable word.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:38 am »

Less hard than I thought
But we will need so many
animal trainers

On another note
writing haiku is quite hard
with chilli in eye.

I was about to
Ask why your posts are haikus.
Took me a while.

The last line is close,
Only 4 syllables though.
Haiku is plural
"While" is a two-syllable word.

I'm sorry, of course
The pronunciation was
confusing at first.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

My setup would be this:
each annimal has a basic skill need. Where megabeasts need legendary trainers small vermine and common domesic annimal can be tamed by a dabling trainer. baby annimals require 5 skill points less then adult annimals. Training an annimal for war and hunting adds 4 to the required number of skills, unless this pushes it over the 20. I do not think it's a good idea to actually add training levels dirrecly related towards skill of the annimal instead I think it should be more like this:
You can select a training level when ordering it to become a war annimal. These training levels are as following

1 command following: requires to be assined to a dwarf the annimal will attack it's target (+0 skill required)
2 frend/ennemy findable: Can attack on his/her own. (+3)
3 ridable: dwarfs can ride on this annimal (+5)
4 secule understanding: can be assigned to squads and will follow training sessions that improve skill.(+6)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

Dabbling trainers couldn't train much more than a puppy or a kitty.

If this was done, I think grown domestic dogs should still be tamable by anyone, not just puppies. Otherwise training the animal trainers themselves would be too problematic, and dogs take easily to training anyway. Could put a major speed penalty for grown dogs if they are only dabbling, but it should still be doable.

Perhaps that could be done with other animals too, by making training skill minimum also effect training speed. So if dogs require 0 skill and jaguars 5, a trainer with five skill could train a dog quickly but a jaguar very slowly. A person with 0 skill could train a dog, but very slowly like the skill 5 trainer and jaguar.
Pages: 1 [2]