Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UP/Down Dwarfs, new sucession game idea.  (Read 1025 times)

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UP/Down Dwarfs, new sucession game idea.
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:05:47 am »

This game Idea may be a bit tricky to pull off, but with burrows it is now possible.

The plan is simple, two teams in a succession game, one in charge of dwarfs that get the surface (soil layers and up) and buildings up there, the other takes subsurface dwarfs (rock layers and down). each taking turns to manage just their colony.
There are a few ways of running this concurrent design:
  • Turns last until something important happens in the other fort, such as a dorf going into a mood
  • Turns last a predefined in game time, the other fort would have to survive with no supervision on what it has
  • Turns last a predefined real time, like above with the Forts
and a few options on the inter-fort rules:
  • Each turn all dwarfs move to the other fort, all resources in the other fort are off limits
  • Dwarf Population is split down the middle, with one area in which to 'sell' each other goods using take from stockpile
  • no interaction whatsoever

I really like the idea of trading between the forts, offering Ore for food/drink, wood for stone, sand for coal.

The name. Quark Succession, as they are Up/Down dwarfs.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:07:33 am by TauQuebb »

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UP/Down Dwarfs, new sucession game idea.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:39 am »

Well, sounds good, but I don't know how equilibrated it would turn out. After all, if the subterranean gang get tower caps, they'll only need the surface guys for sand, or even not.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

It could be more equal with Team Alpha getting the first cavern layer on up, and Team Skyfox getting cavern two on down, assuming there's a water cavern.

Team Alpha would benefit from having a volcano and a brook.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:09:25 pm »

I like this idea, but it would be a pain in the ass to create. I would suggest making two completely isolated parts - one builds with glass and wood, another with stone and metal. Aboveground part has to make crossbowdwarves to watch over passages (will be a great test for new alert system), underground - traps and military. Also, I would vote for second option about time limit (predefined), but changing if something REALLY important shows up (not a moody dwarf, but at least an ambush)

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:26 am »

It could be more equal with Team Alpha getting the first cavern layer on up, and Team Skyfox getting cavern two on down, assuming there's a water cavern.

I like that idea, also brings the idea of trading ores in too, as upper layers will differ to lower ones.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:55 pm »

I think it would be cool if you had all six quarks. Up gets underground to end of 1st caverns, Down gets bottom of 1st to top of 2nd caverns, Top gets surface, Bottom gets top of 2nd caverns to bottom of 3rd caverns, Side gets all extras, eg. Volcano, Aquifer, River, etc., and two squares around them in all directions, and Strange gets underneath the 3rd caverns. Including HFS, Magma sea, Clown Castles, and Super metal. It would go Top, Up, Down, Bottom, Side, Strange, so as to provide time to give access to the next team's turf. If this does get started, I want in first.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.