Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Medicinal Herbs  (Read 2287 times)

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medicinal Herbs
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 08:48:26 am »

I like that idea! Also, maybe warves could get "sick" and that'd slow their speed and whatnot
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »

Perhaps also a herb that would reverse infections and I think diseaces should be added.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 06:26:26 am »

Perhaps another herb could be used to calm dwarfs who are trowing a tantrum.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:30:39 am »

Perhaps another herb could be used to calm dwarfs who are trowing a tantrum.

Basically, marijuana.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

Urist Mctantrum Smokes a doobie to cool off..
Urist Mctantrum now feels mellow.
Urist Mctantrum is starving.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 02:59:52 pm »

I always figured golden salve would increase healing rates, clean wounds as soap and prevent infection; thus making it a very useful substance to stockpile. And yes, gnomeblight is gnome poison. Its called 'blight' for a reason. I think the idea is to have barrels of gnomeblight sitting around outside so when the gnomes come up to steal your booze they pick gnomeblight and die.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:12:30 am »

Why specifically herbs? I mean, I know they're a huge New Age/Alternative Medicine fad these days, but certainly there's a lot of plants (not to mention creatures) with medicinal properties. For example, aspirin was originally made from the willow bark.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:48 am »

Well mostly herbs because they are known for medical use and the fact that it's easier to have one specific type of object from which you can get these medical powers. Other then there isn't really any specific reason,.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:08 am »

Never imply I have the slightest interest in New Age nonsense.

In reply, willow bark would be a herbal medicine of sorts since it is plant based. Medicine from animals generally amounts to snake oil and powdered tiger penis in the Western mindset. I doubt there's much to gain by developing the system beyond golden salve having potent antibacterial and healing properties. Rec drugs have been another discussion completely, and while I'd love to see tobacco this just isn't the place for it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2]