Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature strength  (Read 1046 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature strength
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:02:18 pm »

Can someone explain to me what raws determine how strong a creature is?

I've been working on a domestic creature to replace dogs, so many of my files are copied from the dog raws. What I'm finding though is that a dog can easily kill numerous of this custom creature. I have a few theories as to why this. It could be because I removed the bone layer from the custom creature, which may make it easier to kill. However, I can't figure out how I would compensate for this weakness without giving the creature bones. This also wouldn't explain how much damage a creature can deal, unless that also has to do with tissue layers.

I've tried looking over the wiki but it doesn't seem to have a clear answer, so any help would be appreciated.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Creature strength
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

The damage is determined by the creature size and strength. The material of the striking bodypart determines what can this creature damage.

So, a huge monster slapping you with a paper finger won't be able to damage you, but a small critter with adamantine teeth will leave only small scratches too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:28 pm »

The damage is determined by the creature size and strength. The material of the striking bodypart determines what can this creature damage.

So, a huge monster slapping you with a paper finger won't be able to damage you, but a small critter with adamantine teeth will leave only small scratches too.
adamantine teeth on an angry rodent.. would be interesting..
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

adamantine teeth on an angry rodent.. would be interesting..
*Schemes.*
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:57:10 pm »

Thanks for the answers guys. Rather than make a new thread I'd figure I'd just ask here; what tag determines if a pet can be adopted (like dogs) or adopts dwarves on its own (like annoying cats?). I ask this because my custom species seems to have defaulted to the cat method, which is undesirable to say the least.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »

That would be the [VERMINHUNTER] tag I believe.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:44 am »

It is [VERMINHUNTER]. Though if a creature is trainable to war or hunting then they will only adopt their owners on their own before being trained, afterwards they have to be assigned like any other work animal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:08:14 am »

Note that for smaller balancing issues you can use the physical attribute tags. Those let you modify attrubutes like strength, agility, toughness.

You can also increase attack strength by increasing the size of the attacking bodypart, and adjusting the materials to be sharper, denser, and giving it increased shear and impact values.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:40 am »

Small creatures with adamantine teeth...hummmm
Someone should really mod in some LAVA PIRANHAS!
Scratch that.
FLYING BUILDING DESTROYER LAVA PIRANHAS MUAHAHAHAHAH
The magma sea just got real(er)
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.