Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to embark with (and trade for) exotic items  (Read 494 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to embark with (and trade for) exotic items
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

This might already be known, but I don't think I've seen it before:

Entities determine what they have access to during world gen.  They will build instances of any toys in their entity definition at this time.  Because we have access to the save raws now, you can alter the entity's definition after world gen.  This means that you can let a parent civ build items as toys during world gen, then change it afterward so that the items are only available to the player as rxn products, or not at all.  It should be possible to do the same thing with instruments and with weapons and armor.

World gen:
Code: [Select]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_ELF]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_HUMAN]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_DWARF]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_CASKET_OF_BILESTONE]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_SEA]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_SKY]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_FOREST]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_FIELD]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_CAVE]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_DEEPS]
[TOY:ITEM_TOY_MOTHER_STONE]
etc...

After world gen:
Code: [Select]
TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_ELF
TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_HUMAN
TOY:ITEM_TOY_BRAIN_IN_JAR_DWARF
TOY:ITEM_TOY_CASKET_OF_BILESTONE
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_SEA
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_SKY
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_FOREST
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_FIELD
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_CAVE
TOY:ITEM_TOY_SPATIAL_WARP_DEEPS
TOY:ITEM_TOY_MOTHER_STONE
etc

The above tokens are from my illithid mod.  I have embarked several times; you can definitely buy the stuff at embark.  I just had my first Illithid caravan, and they had one of the items as well (tiny caravan, three mules).  I have also tested to make sure my craftsmen don't make these toys despite them not appearing in the raw.  As far as I've seen, they don't.  I did have one mysterious fire on embark, but it didn't happen before or since, so I'm chalking it up to some other bug, possibly with bonfire materials?  Who knows.  Anyway, this should be useful to people doing Alchemy mods.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: How to embark with (and trade for) exotic items
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:51 am »

If I'm understanding correctly, what you've cracked is the ability to keep a specific craft item out of the hands of players, but able to be acquired by trading? In constructing my alchemy mod, I had the opposite problem - keeping traders from bringing crucial ingredients from high up in the "tech tree", and as a result the project's scrapped for now. I think it might be possible with dummy stones/wood, since they can be forbidden by having no natural biome, but it won't work for bars.

Also, if you're using my bonfire mod... yea. I don't know. I've had some random fires involving magic rats from nowhere. Dump water on it, freeze it if you can.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to embark with (and trade for) exotic items
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »

Ok.  I know Mephansteras had a thread a few weeks back asking how to get traders to bring reaction products, which I believe this answers.

In your case, couldn't you do the oposite?  Turn off the rxn declarations during world-gen, when the civs determine what they can and can't make, and enable it afterwards so that the player can make them?
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)